Gen V Cam in Gen VI Engine >

Gen V Cam in Gen VI Engine

Notices

Gen V Cam in Gen VI Engine

Old 01-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen V Cam in Gen VI Engine

I have and engine that I am trying to get back together for the season. Cost is a focus this time so, I was going to use a Gen V cam I have (with new lifter I have) in my Gen V block.

I got confuse in a recent post. Do I only need a cam button on my Gen V Flat Tappet cam to use it in a Gen VI block?

Please do not assume that I know anything here. I normal just get the recommend parts and do have mismatch components.

I have never installed a cam with a retainer plate, cam button, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

If you don't use the retainer plate, then you should use a button to stop the can from walking forward. You want .006-.010 of end play. The only way to use a retainer plate is to have a step nose (Gen VI) style cam. Hope this helps.
Eddie
Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered

Default Thankss

Just to make sure that I am tracking with you. Since I am using a Gen V Flat Tappet cam in a Gen VI block I need to use a cam button.

Is the clearance you are discussing between the cam button and the timing chain cover? If so how do you measure that clearance?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clearance being mentioned by Eddie is indeed the space between the cam button and the timing chain cover.

You put clay on the end of the cam button, bolt the timing cover in place, and then remove the cover and measure the clay thickness. You can buy cam buttons in various thicknesses. Some cam button kits have various thicknesses of shims.

There may be a better way... but that is the way I have done it in the past.

Chris
Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Registered

If it is a flat tappet cam you do not need a button, the cam will locate itself. With the flat tappet you must have new lifters and preferably a new cam. The roller cams require buttons to properly locate them in the block.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't they make a specal timing chain for this application?

Or is it the special chain and gear to put the step nose cam into the gen IV,V blocks?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Registered

Default Timing chain cover

I have a Gen VI timing chain cover and and oil pan that I wanted to run with the Gen V cam. If this is not a good ideal I don't want to waste money and trash my bottom end to reuse and old cam.

I just have a cam that is great shape and new lifter that I wanted to use in this engine.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

In the long run you will more happy with a roller cam that was setup for the Gen VI. Use the retainer plate and be done with it.
when using a cam button, I check the end play with a dial indcator on the back of the cam.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Ohio, I send you a pm. I didn't realize you had a flat tappet cam. You don't need a cam button with a flat tappet. The cam lobes are cut on an angle to force the cam backwards. It would be a great investment to put a hyd. roller in it. You could then use a step nose Gen VI cam with the retainer.
However, you can use a MK IV or Gen V cam in a Gen VI block. You will have to use the Gen VI cover to match the block. You will also have to use a MK IV/Gen V timing set to match the cam. If you use a double roller timing set, you may have to grind down some of the internal ribs on the underside of the cover. It's very easy to do with a grinder.
Eddie
Old 01-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Registered

First you said you had a Gen V block now it is a Gen VI. Lets clarify the Gen V block has 10 bolts holding the timing cover the Gen VI has six bolts. The Gen VI is designed for individual hydraulic roller lifters held in place with a stamped steel spyder system. The Gen VI cover is designed for a stepped nose roller cam using a retainer plate. It does not have enough clearance for a double roller style chain and a thrust button, it must use the factory single roller style timing chain with retainer plate. There are upgrades to this chain assembly available also. To use the Gen VI cover you need a stepped nose cam, retainer plate, and a block with six bolt holes or be willing to drill and tap additional bolt holes in your Gen V block.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.