Omc king cobra >

Omc king cobra

Notices

Omc king cobra

Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Omc king cobra

I have a 1989 king cobra (so It says) (twins) how do i properly id the drive there seems to be alot of confusion on the the drive.is it a cobra with king stickers on it? if so can i buy glm parts for it? please help? i have read every thread on king cobras and cant come up with an answer
Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by carreraboat
I have a 1989 king cobra (so It says) (twins) how do i properly id the drive there seems to be alot of confusion on the the drive.is it a cobra with king stickers on it? if so can i buy glm parts for it? please help? i have read every thread on king cobras and cant come up with an answer
Thanks in advance
It would be called a king cobra drive,i take it you have 460 ford motors? if you look on the motor and if their are interupt switches on the shift cable doo hicky then it has a dog clutch which is a weaker drive..if it dont then it might be a cone clutch style but that is a totally looking differant drive..it would have a hump on the top cap and that drive didnt come out till 93..Yes you can use glm parts for that drive,i have used glm to service the older knuckel drives with out any issues at all..

What is wrong with your drive?

to determine the correct drive i would need a serial # then i could check the fish and see what you have..

Last edited by FIXX; 01-31-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Registered

Thanks it has smallblocks and i will look at the transom it is in storage have you tried elimianting the swithces and just kill to shift i had an outboard tha ti use to do that with helped them live alot longer
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by carreraboat
Thanks it has smallblocks and i will look at the transom it is in storage have you tried elimianting the swithces and just kill to shift i had an outboard tha ti use to do that with helped them live alot longer
No i have not elimianting them, their a pain in the AZZ to adjust tho,theirs 2 to those little boogers on each engine and if their not set just rite you will have problems pulling them out of gear,,omc makes special tools to set the cables just rite so they work properly..
Old 02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Registered

Long story short bought a project looking for advise on the cobras maybe once i get a little closer to completion i will start some photos
Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Registered

drives are suppose to be in working order