Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
trim tab removal question >

trim tab removal question

Notices

trim tab removal question

Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trim tab removal question

I would like to take the trim tabs off my black thunder to get them re powder coated as there is some corrosion on them and am wondering what is the best way to get them off without creating any dammage to the gell as they seem to be glued/ siliconed on. Is this a good idea or should I just leave them on and paint them in place?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by jus490
I would like to take the trim tabs off my black thunder to get them re powder coated as there is some corrosion on them and am wondering what is the best way to get them off without creating any dammage to the gell as they seem to be glued/ siliconed on. Is this a good idea or should I just leave them on and paint them in place?

they are probably glued on with 5200,black thunder loves that stuff!

you could try this stuff called debond but havnt had any luck with it...let it soak in for a day or two..poke little holes in the sealer with a pic and spray it in the holes all the way around the tabs..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=320472371465

if thay dont work take a heat gun and get the tab really hot and see if it loosens up..

last try is to get a piece of .020 piano wire or picture frame cable and try to get behind the tab and try to saw through it..apply duct tape around the area of the tab so you dont damage the gel..
Old 02-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

If its put on with 5200, you will have a hell of a time getting them off. There is also a good chance that it will pull some of the skin off the transom. I have run into it before. You will just have to work at it with scrapers and putty knives. I work them in around the edges and then try to get a hack saw blade in and start cutting the silicone. Just use the blade without the handle. You can drive the putty knives in with a hammer, but just take your time. Plan on a few hours each to get them off it they were put on with 5200. If it is just silicone, then they should come off without to much trouble. Good luck.
Eddie
Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Registered

Go to the sporting goods store and get a survival type wire saw. Like someone said it is like piano wire, but less gangster.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:09 AM

thank you fo rhte info i will give those things a try. I am also curios as to where ton get ends for the tab indecators because they are rusty and broke when i tried to undo them. they are like a little ball and socket piece
Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Chris
Gold Member

I have used DeBond to remove 5200 and other adheasives over the last year, and the stuff is simply amazing!

If you follow the instructions, it works great!

I have removed and relocated my dana trim tabs three times, and removed the trim tabs off two other boats with this stuff, with out a single scratch to the gel coat.

It does leave a very light 5200 residue that is transparent and milky on the gel-coat, but I buffed that out using rubbing compound and a buffer.

You only have to let it set for about an hour, and you keep applying it over and over again, using hard wood shims to wedge the tab off the boat.

Scribe edge and apply DeBond... wait an hour ... barely drive in wedges .. re apply DeBond.. wait 20 minutes .. drive in wedges further ... repeat

The entire process takes about 3-4 hours.

The tabs will literally fall off the boat.

Use a plastic scraper to peal off the excess 5200 while continually re-applying and letting the De-Bond soak in. (I use a metal putty knife and am careful not to catch an edge... it is faster)

Chris

P.S. 3M is in negotiations with DeBond to purchase this product ... it works that well !

Last edited by CB-BLR; 02-02-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Gold Member

i have used combustion chamber cleaner to dissolve 5200.test it first in a area that you wont see.just to make sure it does not mess w/the gel coat.i have used the stuff on my fountain on the through hull fittings and it works well.you have to let it sit over-nite.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=CB-BLR;3036816]I have used DeBond to remove 5200 and other adheasives over the last year, and the stuff is simply amazing!

If you follow the instructions, it works great!

I have removed and relocated my dana trim tabs three times, and removed the trim tabs off two other boats with this stuff, with out a single scratch to the gel coat.

It does leave a very light 5200 residue that is transparent and milky on the gel-coat, but I buffed that out using rubbing compound and a buffer.

You only have to let it set for about an hour, and you keep applying it over and over again, using hard wood shims to wedge the tab off the boat.

Scribe edge and apply DeBond... wait an hour ... barely drive in wedges .. re apply DeBond.. wait 20 minutes .. drive in wedges further ... repeat

The entire process takes about 3-4 hours.

The tabs will literally fall off the boat.

Use a plastic scraper to peal off the excess 5200 while continually re-applying and letting the De-Bond soak in. (I use a metal putty knife and am careful not to catch an edge... it is faster)

Chris

P.S. 3M is in negotiations with DeBond to purchase this product ... it works that well ![/QUOTE

I have used Debond also to remove rails, cleats, grab handles for powder coating and it works great.