Thinking about buying a 94 382 SR1 33k on a trailer

Notices
Formula

Thinking about buying a 94 382 SR1 33k on a trailer

Old 02-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking about buying a 94 382 SR1 33k on a trailer

I am looking at a 1994 382. twin 525sc origional blowers from the factory.the guy says have only 20 hours on the engines. Big downfall its a florida boat salt water.
No registration numbers on this boat. its on a trailer which looks to be in good condition. the Interior needs to be totally re done in the cocpit. the cabin looks decent.

He says the gell is in good condition. Full hydrolic steering and decent drives by the look of them with no scratches.

Would I be getting a great deal at 33k.

I have never bought a salt water boat. dont know what to look for. there are a few spots where some rust is apparent on the engines.

Its a 12 hour drive to see it and dont want to waste my time looking at a submerged boat.
Also what would the top speed be on this boat.

any suggestions would be great.

Last edited by Outlaw00024; 02-05-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: wrong word... change wording from hull id to registration
Old 02-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

SURVEY! SURVEY! SURVEY!

Look closely at the engines. If they were not properly flushed after use they could be an absolute nightmare inside.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mach 1
SURVEY! SURVEY! SURVEY!

Look closely at the engines. If they were not properly flushed after use they could be an absolute nightmare inside.
I was definatly going to bring my surveyer down with me and a mechanic if I could drag him away for a day or two.

I guess there is no way to tell what the internals look like..

its such a great price for a 38.... i guess if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.. could sell that sucker for 65k all day up here with a few grand into it if it was solid...
Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Registered

Disconnect the cooling hoses and look at the connections. Ask which parts are original (water pump, t-stat housing) and take them off to look inside. It might sound like a big deal but it really isn't. For the cost of a few gaskets and a mechanic's time it's a super cheap investment. Bring a mirror and look underneath the heads and blocks, and on the backside of the blocks. These are places nobody looks, nobody rinses well, and don't get a lot of protection; if there were any problems or poor maintenance, these areas will show it. I expect it's also a Bravo boat - ask lots of questions about the drives.

It is too cheap to be true, but I saw an early Fastech 382 being given away for $50k. Gotta see them in person and pay for a good survey.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

handfulz28 is offering some very good advice and I would suggest the same. Just because a boat is in salt water doesn't always make it rough but they certainly are exposed to a harsher environment than a fresh water boat. Don't forget that salt is also in the air which can affect the rigging and trim as well. A salt water boat has to be looked at carefully and I really think it comes down to how well they were maintained by previous owners. Check the engines carefully along with the rigging, trim, drives and planes for corrosion. As long as you have a good surveyor with you who is also able to perform mechanical inspections you should be ok but as you know; if it sounds too good to be true.................
Old 02-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the boat that is in Mass., if so i think that it has been for sale for a year or so now. I love that boat and was going to go take look at it my self if my 311 would have sold but its looking like its going to be another year with ol faithful.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered

that's some good advice.. I will definately take all that info with me if I go down to see it.... I suppose if its been submerged it will show signs of that. My surveyer should be able to tell. Any way to check the superchargers and what to look for on them for wear without tearing them apart.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

No hull #'s? What's up with that? Many states have laws that make it a felony to modify hull #'s.All boats built after 1972 are required by federal law to have hull #'s on starboard transom. A boat without hull #'s may be stolen or an insurance fraud job. Not saying that's the case,but proceed carefully.How will you register a boat with no hull #?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw00024
...No hull numbers on this boat...Any suggestions would be great...
Be VERY careful.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Magic I know when some boats are painted they can get obscured. Is there any other location on the boat that he can look for a valid Hull ID? Is that something that maybe he could get from TAG?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.