GM 496 8.1 Vortech engine mods >

GM 496 8.1 Vortech engine mods

Notices

GM 496 8.1 Vortech engine mods

Old 02-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM 496 8.1 Vortech engine mods

Hi im Andy i have a machine shop here in SoCal i do a lot of boat engines and race car engines, anything from pleasure to 3500HP blown alky engines, i recently had a customer come to me asking about his 496 and what could be done to get more power, I.E. stroking the engine and aftermarket heads, after a little research and from the little i already know about these engines (have one in my motor home) there is not a lot of info out there!

So im looking to find out maybe from Raylar, Paul or anyone else what is available or will change over from the Mk IV,V and VI engines, i understand the externals are different I.E. block heads ect, but cant find info on internals like cranks, rods, pistons and cams, i saw in one post on here that Raylar has Alum heads, my customers engine is a Mercruiser 496 MAG 415hp

Any help would be apriciated, thanks Andy

Last edited by outlawracing1; 02-09-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by outlawracing1
Hi im Andy i have a machine shop here in SoCal i do a lot of boat engines and race car engines, anything from pleasure to 3500HP blown alky engines, i recently had a customer come to me asking about his 496 and what could be done to get more power, I.E. stroking the engine and aftermarket heads, after a little research and from the little i already know about these engines (have one in my motor home) there is not a lot of info out there!

So im looking to find out maybe from Raylar, Paul or anyone else what is available or will change over from the Mk IV,V and VI engines, i understand the externals are different I.E. block heads ect, but cant find info on internals like cranks, rods, pistons and cams, i saw in one post on here that Raylar has Alum heads, my customers engine is a Mercruiser 496 MAG 415hp

Any help would be apriciated, thanks Andy
Hey Andy,
Not Raylar here however I would think the heads would be the biggest set back to future build. That is if they're the Vortec heads anyway. I can't see why if the heads were swapped out with a desirable set of aftermarkets you couldn't achieve good gains. If you got the comp to around 10 to 1 (alum) or so and good cam, intake and carb. Mine will hit the dyno soon and I expect to see pretty decent numbers. I have Dart Pro 1's 310cc. Dart intakes and Comp hyd rollers. I am not real familiar with the stock internals of the said engine however I can't imagine they're anything less than forged. I have heard though that at least in some of the engines that the pistons aren't forged. Hopefully Raylar will see this or otherwise PM him and I am sure he'll get back with you. He is very familiar with those engines. All my internals are after market.

Good luck and glad to see you on board.

John

PS also do a search on such and you'll get a lot of info. I just did a search after posting the above and got a ton. I just did a copy paste from your subject line. You'll be reading for a while. LOL... Sounds like Raylar is your guy as you mentioned.

Last edited by getrdunn; 02-09-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink If its a 496, We got your back!

Hello Andy:

Ray here @ Raylar

If this is a Mercruiser 496Mag engine, 2001 thru 2009 model it is a 375HP engine. You can for sure identify by looking at the ECM label, it will say 496 Base, if it says 496 HO then it is a 425HP HO model.

In any event, we have every part and internal in stock here at Raylar, heads , intake manifolds, our special cams, rockers, MLS head gaskets, our Raylar -ARP head bolt kits, our Raylar forged piston sets and billet rods, oil pans, forged crankshafts, special oil pumps, bearings, gaskets, spark [plugs, wire sets, etc., etc., etc. There is not much we don't stock and carry to rebuild or upgrade a 496 Mag or HO engine including special ECM reprogramming.
If we can help, let us know.
www.raylarengine.com toll free (866) 496-8181

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
Hello Andy:

Ray here @ Raylar

If this is a Mercruiser 496Mag engine, 2001 thru 2009 model it is a 375HP engine. You can for sure identify by looking at the ECM label, it will say 496 Base, if it says 496 HO then it is a 425HP HO model.

In any event, we have every part and internal in stock here at Raylar, heads , intake manifolds, our special cams, rockers, MLS head gaskets, our Raylar -ARP head bolt kits, our Raylar forged piston sets and billet rods, oil pans, forged crankshafts, special oil pumps, bearings, gaskets, spark [plugs, wire sets, etc., etc., etc. There is not much we don't stock and carry to rebuild or upgrade a 496 Mag or HO engine including special ECM reprogramming.
If we can help, let us know.
www.raylarengine.com toll free (866) 496-8181

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Thanks Raylar ill call, Andy
Old 02-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Andy, as I am sure Raylar will inform you, the stock 496 is a marinized GM truck engine and nothing more. Nothing is forged all is cast. It is nothing like the Merc 502. Raylar has designed upgrades that will work with the stock engine and produce as much hp as the engine will tolerate without being totally upgraded. Also Whipple offers a package designed for the stock engine but any misstep on gas octane can be costly. Good Luck.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Registered

Her is a little upgrade I did a while back with Whipple and Raylar parts.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...rts-496ho.html
Old 03-26-2010, 12:13 PM
DPA
Registered

I would sell the 496 and go with a 502 build from there. Don't be held hostage by the few people that can re-cal the ECM. Anyone can make a 496 go fast with the correct parts. Believe me, the ECM $$$recal$$$ is where they will get you. If you must do the 496 see Dustin at Whipple for the ECM and call Bob Lloyd (even for Raylar parts) at Full Throttle Marine. I think Tyler Crockett is doing a few things with the 496 too.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Apples to Apples

I guess I get a little offended when those super knowledgeable marine performance engine experts start chirrping off here on OSO!
Last time I looked no one at Raylar was holding anyone especially our customers hostage to upgrade the great 496 engine. When you price high quality parts for a 502 base efi engine or a 496 efi engine the cost for the parts and equivalent hp and reliability will be about the same. If you want to try and buy cheap internet imports or do all your marine high performance engine parts and build shopping at Jegs or Summit or such, you will learn very quickly what a marine performance ENDURANCE engine is all about!
As for 496 based performance engines Raylar's got quite a few out there giving those 502 engines an honest run for their money.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

raylar has you covered with anything you want to do with the 496,,,products are well built, tested and dyno run,,and ray will assist you from start of tear down,up until your all done water testing,,,anytime i needed a answer (dumb or not,ray has already been there and done itthe guy knows more tricks about testing for problems,,than a magician