Notices

1979 SleekCraft Volvo Conversion

Old 02-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 SleekCraft Volvo Conversion

Fist post here....
1979 SleekCraft 23` Executive.
I`m in the process of converting my old Volvo 280 over to the newer SX drive. I know, why not a Bravo? Simply put....money. I manged to get a hold of a complete SX drive with the bell housing and all the goodies for super cheap. The hull the SX belonged to was crushed by an oak tree, bad for the hull....good for me. I got the transom adapter plate made by Volvo ready to go. All I need is a couple a good sunny days and I should be able to knock out most of the big stuff. I need a little info though.......power steering. I have a in line oil cooler and soon will have a in line power steering cooler as well. How is your plumbing setup for this? and can I just use a automotive power steering pump?(one thing I didn't get). Any thoughts would be great......Thanks

Old 02-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Registered

Cool

that is a awesome looking boat i run a volvo290a 1;61 gears with a nose cone and it is bullet proof and joel bronson of bronson and hill propellers in california builds one bad a$$ ss prop for older volvo outdrives
Old 02-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Registered

I think that the SX drive is a pretty darn good drive. Everyone I talk to that has one has never had any problems with it as long as you keep the HP at a sane level. You can use a automotive power steering pump, at least on a bravo. I am not familiar with the rest of the setup on the sx.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies....I think I got the plumbing worked out but am wondering about the engine mounts. I noticed two pairs of mounts on the flywheel cover. two upper and two lower.....can someone give me the dope on this?