500 EFI heads-freshen up or replace? >

500 EFI heads-freshen up or replace?

Notices

500 EFI heads-freshen up or replace?

Old 02-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 500 EFI heads-freshen up or replace?

I have a pair of 2003 500 EFI's with 2.3 Whipples with about 180 hrs, heads are stock and have no problems yet but the valve springs are probably tired and all the recent ethanol/valve seal issues I am considering reworking or just replacing my heads with aftermarket and then selling the stock ones...any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

INdy27,

I just rebuilt mine, magnafluxed, guides, seals, resurfaced, 3 angle valve job @174hrs. We checked the springs and they were still at spec. Did this preventatively while upgrading to Cometics. I think I remember reading that the springs are good for 300 or so hrs. but don't quote me on that. Eddie at Young Performance will know the facts as well as a hand full of the other pros on OSO.
All that said, my engine has been nursed, but if I was reamin er out, would have replaced everything.
I was gonna put alum. heads on but the motor would have had to come out for tuning Eddie said, I did not wanna have to go to that extreme just 4 head gaskets. I the future when she's tired, I will step up to the next level.

Last edited by Greenkeeper; 02-21-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by INDY27
I have a pair of 2003 500 EFI's with 2.3 Whipples with about 180 hrs, heads are stock and have no problems yet but the valve springs are probably tired and all the recent ethanol/valve seal issues I am considering reworking or just replacing my heads with aftermarket and then selling the stock ones...any suggestions?

Thanks
depends on what you want out of it. if you are happy with the performance just redo them the way they are, if you want more then you can go aftermarket. however like said above, once you do that, you have to address some other issues like comp and fuel, start putting in more air and not change the fuel map = boom.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
depends on what you want out of it. if you are happy with the performance just redo them the way they are, if you want more then you can go aftermarket. however like said above, once you do that, you have to address some other issues like comp and fuel, start putting in more air and not change the fuel map = boom.
also if he rebuilds ,replace the springs,cheap and not worth the chance!!

Im still stock heads.also is ya go beter flowing you will have to turn the blower harder,

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
also if he rebuilds ,replace the springs,cheap and not worth the chance!!

Im still stock heads.also is ya go beter flowing you will have to turn the blower harder,
Hey Rob,
You have Mark Boos number handy?

Thx,
Lee
Old 02-22-2010, 03:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by INDY27
Hey Rob,
You have Mark Boos number handy?

Thx,
Lee
http://www.pmefi.com/
Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Thanks offshore!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rob your fast,what ya doing over here dude

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

As Rob (Offshoredrillin) said, it all depends on what you want. If you are happy with the current power output, then just freshen them up. If you are looking for more, then go to aftermarket heads. Just keep in mind that if you go to alum. heads, then there will be some programming to be done. There are a few of us that can do it.
The weakest links in the stock setup are the exhaust valves and the head gaskets. Personally, with the time on them, I would rebuild the heads with new valves, springs, retainers, locks, seals and head gaskets. Use a good set of valves (like Manley), good springs, 10* retainers and locks (instead of the stock 7*) and a set of good head gaskets (Cometic, or similar) This is where you need to make a decision. At this point, the only additional money to go to aftermarket heads is the cost of the bare heads. You are already buying all the hardware anyway. If you decide to go to alum. heads later on, then all the money you spent on hardware for the stock heads is wasted because the alum. heads will take all different hardware. It will basically cost you about $1500 additional to go to alum. at that point. That is why I say you have to make the decision at this point.
Give me a shout if I can help in any way. Thanks
Eddie
Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Rob your fast,what ya doing over here dude
winter, car bus is slow, doin paperwork..etc etc etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.