Bravo 1 - difficulty shifting >

Bravo 1 - difficulty shifting

Notices

Bravo 1 - difficulty shifting

Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bravo 1 - difficulty shifting

Well I definitely found the problem. I noticed last fall that shifting the port outdrive in and out of gear was getting more difficult. Wasn't sure if it was a shift cable problem or in the outdrive. Well the pics below tell the story. The o-ring around the shift cable was letting water into that chamber where the shifter mechanism pivots against the detent ball in the back cover. I looks a lot worse than it is. All that grease turned brown due to dirty water and probably some rust.

My question is what do you recommend using to clean all this up before loading it back up with fresh grease? Standard, off the shelf degreaser or brake cleaner? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Bravo 1 - difficulty shifting-pic3.jpg   Bravo 1 - difficulty shifting-pic4.jpg  
Old 02-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd suggest replacing the shift shaft seal. If the water/rust got up into the seal it could ruin it and the next time you pull the drive it will be full of oil in that cavity instead of water.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

You should really replace the shift linkage assembly and detent ball while its apart.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

4mula,
I use mineral spirits to clean up a mess like that. You can put it in a spray bottle and let it fly.. I normally take it all apart and clean it.. Having it assembled will allow some to stay hidding in the crevices..
Pull the top cap and remove the two shift rod screws.. Pull the rod out and remove the shift linkage and fork.. Clean it up and take a look at the rod. If it is slightly galled you can polish it with 600grit and WD40. Then clean and check the linkage.. Then it decide what needs to be replace.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, all good advice. I'm going to pick up a spray bottle and some mineral spirits tonight. I looked in the manual and it showed a 'special tool' to use while removing the shift rod. Not sure what it is actually for since it just looks like you remove the upper and lower screws in the rod and slip it out the top(?) It also recommended using Permatex(sp) on the screws when reassembling. How about Loctite 271 theadlocker?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

4mula,
The bolts that you take out of the shift rod is the correct thread to screw into the top of the rod.. The tool has a threaded portion on it to screw into the top of the shaft to help pull it out. It can be removed with out the tool most of the time.. But in your case, you may need to use a bolt and some thing to grip it.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 02-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
4mula,
The bolts that you take out of the shift rod is the correct thread to screw into the top of the rod.. The tool has a threaded portion on it to screw into the top of the shaft to help pull it out. It can be removed with out the tool most of the time.. But in your case, you may need to use a bolt and some thing to grip it.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Thanks Dick, that helps a lot. I will just make my own tool if I need it.
Dave
Old 02-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
Thanks Dick, that helps a lot. I will just make my own tool if I need it.
Dave
Take one of the allen bolts that hold the shift linkage/shift fork and thread it into the top of the shift shaft....then use a needle nose pliars and pull the shaft out....

If you need to install a new shift shaft seal I also have a trick for that...if you don't have the tool....
Old 02-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Ah what the heck.........

Merc seal installation tool on the right....home made installation tool on the left.... Tool is simply a bolt, nut, tow washers and a shift shaft bushing.
Attached Thumbnails Bravo 1 - difficulty shifting-merc-tool.jpg  
Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Ah what the heck.........

Merc seal installation tool on the right....home made installation tool on the left.... Tool is simply a bolt, nut, tow washers and a shift shaft bushing.
Thanks man! Necessity is the mother of invention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.