Vinyl interior questions again >

Vinyl interior questions again

Notices

Vinyl interior questions again

Old 02-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Vinyl interior questions again

Going to attempt to install new vinyl for interior again.

Couple Questions-

1. For the head liner, i thought about just applying the vinyl straight to the glass. Any issues w/ this or would i need some sort of foam backing? I wanted to use vinyl to keep the color consistency the same as the hull liner.

2. Last time i used 3M Super Trim spray adhesive. I didnt like the results, it seemed to get clumpy in some spots. Is there something better/different to use that would hold up & is easy to apply?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would say that you need to use a thin, 1/4" or so, foam backing.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Griff is correct regarding the foam padding behind the vinyl. Also for best results if your doing a large area I would get the 3m adheasive by the gallon and buy a cheap automotive spray gun and apply moderate EVEN coats to each. Let each side set up for the recommended time. (probably 15 minutes or so) depending on the temps. I typically work from the center outward. Take your time.

Last edited by getrdunn; 02-23-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Steve_H

If you dont use padding, everything that is not perfectly smooth and flat will show up thru the vinyl.

One thing you have to make sure of is you must remove ALL the old glue from the ceiling in order for the new foam to stick. Its a nasty smelly job.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve_H
If you dont use padding, everything that is not perfectly smooth and flat will show up thru the vinyl.

One thing you have to make sure of is you must remove ALL the old glue from the ceiling in order for the new foam to stick. Its a nasty smelly job.
yeah we have already taken a wire wheel brushes to the glass & removed all the old glue & foam.

I think i might do the headliner like i am doing the sides. Use some panel board wrapped in 1/4" & vinyl. The panel board is light, but strong enough where the vinyl can be pulled tight around it. then just mount it to the ceiling. i wanted to avoid using the screws w/ cap covers, but thats what cig used on all their pieces, so i may just do the same.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Registered

Not the best pic, but one side is up! only took us about 10 hrs. Just took it slow, didnt want to blow through another 6 yards of vinyl. Looks pretty damn good i think- much better than how it was when i bought it.

Will be at the lake next weekend for a bday, so cant get back to it for another 2 weeks.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Looks good. At this rate you might even have it all done by the MWBP Poker Run
Old 03-02-2010, 05:38 AM
Steve_H

Is that vinyl and foam or just foam?

If just foam you might want to clue the vinyl to the foam before gluing to the ceiling. Also, it looks like you may need to overlap more material on the center section and the sides but its hard to tell from the picture. The hatch needs to come off at some point also.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Registered

Griff- It will be done by Memorial !!!! I am actually going out there this weekend so i now have two extra days this month i didnt expect.

Steve- Its vinyl over the foam. The color turned out to be a little darker than what i was expecting, but i think it will look good against the white cushions & purple trim pieces.

The Cafe center & sides have separate trim pieces that cover up the middle & go up to the top from the sides. They mount to the bare wood pieces. When i took the pic, we hadnt done all the trimming & routing it into the crevices. The hatch shouldnt need to come off, there is another vinyl trim piece (not installed yet) that goes around the glass.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

keep the pictures of your progress coming!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.