Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Using AWLGRIP or Bilgekote, Bilge question. >

Using AWLGRIP or Bilgekote, Bilge question.

Notices

Using AWLGRIP or Bilgekote, Bilge question.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Using AWLGRIP or Bilgekote, Bilge question.

Still torn between which product,, but do i need to strip or prime for either......i have been told i can paint right over the factory Baja paint in bilge with bilgkote, its much cheaper and easier but i may spring for the awlgrip if i dont have to prime and can go over the baja painted bilge. awlgrip is 300 and bilgekot is 100.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 288 Likes on 174 Posts

I would use awlgrip as I have heard bilgekote fads and yellows with oil. I used awlgrip on my bilge. IMO you could get away with not striping. Per the Awlgrip instruction you need to rough up the surface a little (no need to strip off old paint), prime, rough up the prime, do the topcoat, a little more roughing, and then 2nd coat. IMO that is more for exterior fiberglass/cosmetic purposes.

What I did was rough up the surface, prime, 1st coat, 2nd coat. I spilled a little topcoat on the transom and outdrive. The stuff will not come off even after 70mph runs and sitting in water for 3 days. Awlgrip will be a much better shine than bilgekot. I've read that bilgekot will look good at first then loses its shine after short while, but don't have experience with it.

They recommend using black spray paint as a light mist to use as a sanding guide. No need to strip.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 02-24-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did Bilgecoat a year ago and it still looks great with a good shine. Scuffed everything with a orbital sander, then just used some spray can primer. It is holding up very well so far. Brushed it on and it flows out well so you don't see a lot of brush marks. I don't think you really go wrong with either product.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ballon78
Still torn between which product,, but do i need to strip or prime for either......i have been told i can paint right over the factory Baja paint in bilge with bilgkote, its much cheaper and easier but i may spring for the awlgrip if i dont have to prime and can go over the baja painted bilge. awlgrip is 300 and bilgekot is 100.
My mechanic swears by the awlgrip and is useing it on mine, that would be my opinion.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sound weird but I use rustoleum works awsome..is very good durable paint and retains it's shine, used the white several years ago..still looks great....way cheaper that the others..Rob
Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I have painted well over a dozen boats with Bilgekote and love it. It has help up great. No need to prime. Just scuff it to give the paint something to adhere to. Then wipe it down with Prep-solve, laquer thinnner, or similar. Good luck.
Eddie
Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Registered

I have used both and IMO, Awlgrip stays white, cleans up easier, and is more durable.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did mine in Awlgrip and agree with Bruce.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bilgekote will yellow if oil gets spilled on it...I did mine then spilled oil even after cleaning it's still yellow. I'm pondering redoing it while my motors are out, but not sure. Never used Awlgrip. Rustoleum sounds like a cheap alternative.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Registered

I've been using Rustoleum for years. just got done again as I'm getting ready to reinstall my new engine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.