388 Slinshot rough water ride - driving tips

Notices

388 Slinshot rough water ride - driving tips

Old 02-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 388 Slinshot rough water ride - driving tips

Hey guys,

Had my 388 out for the second time Saturday. Just trying to shake her down before summer comes. Although it was suppose to be a calm day we ran into some 1,2, and even 3 footers running across the lakes. The lakes are known for their roughness because of being so shallow (10-12') and the wind off the gulf that they makes them very choppy. Very little frequency to the waves. They are so close it gets pretty brutal.

Anyway, when I was running on the step we were really taking a beating. I gave it some tab, boat came off step and brought the nose down, and she ran a little smoother but still pretty rough. My buddy running ahead of me in his 38' Foutain said he had a smooth ride.

Two things come to mind. 1) I know the Hustler is very light. You can tell immediately after riding in a Foutain or especially a Formula or Baja. Is it just going to ride rougher because it's built light for speed? 2) My buddy said he was running with the drives all the way in, a little tab, and his ride was smooth. He said rather than riding on the back steps the boat runs perfectly flat stretching across multiple waves at once. I did not go back out and try this but it made sense.

I'm stepping up from a Baja Outlaw. I know its a lot heavier per foot but the ride, taking into account for length, is much better. Just curious if I'm doing something wrong or if that's the price I pay for running in the 90's. I'm not complaining. I love the boat. I just want to make sure I'm realizing the boats rough water potential.

Thanks for any input,

Kieffer
Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You shouldnt need much tab in 1-2 footers. The trick is enough speed alot of times. Have to get the boat where it is skatting from wave to wave instead of crashing into them. I almost never use my tabs other than to correct for which side my cooler is on In 3 footers I will nose her down some into them.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kieffer4
Hey guys,

Had my 388 out for the second time Saturday. Just trying to shake her down before summer comes. Although it was suppose to be a calm day we ran into some 1,2, and even 3 footers running across the lakes. The lakes are known for their roughness because of being so shallow (10-12') and the wind off the gulf that they makes them very choppy. Very little frequency to the waves. They are so close it gets pretty brutal.

Anyway, when I was running on the step we were really taking a beating. I gave it some tab, boat came off step and brought the nose down, and she ran a little smoother but still pretty rough. My buddy running ahead of me in his 38' Foutain said he had a smooth ride.

Two things come to mind. 1) I know the Hustler is very light. You can tell immediately after riding in a Foutain or especially a Formula or Baja. Is it just going to ride rougher because it's built light for speed? 2) My buddy said he was running with the drives all the way in, a little tab, and his ride was smooth. He said rather than riding on the back steps the boat runs perfectly flat stretching across multiple waves at once. I did not go back out and try this but it made sense.

I'm stepping up from a Baja Outlaw. I know its a lot heavier per foot but the ride, taking into account for length, is much better. Just curious if I'm doing something wrong or if that's the price I pay for running in the 90's. I'm not complaining. I love the boat. I just want to make sure I'm realizing the boats rough water potential.

Thanks for any input,

Kieffer

I would suggest taking the Tre Martin class, best money you will spend, you will really understand how to run your boat safely at high speed as well as rough water set points. I took it this past summer and loved it. JMHO
Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kyboy1020
You shouldnt need much tab in 1-2 footers. The trick is enough speed alot of times. Have to get the boat where it is skatting from wave to wave instead of crashing into them. I almost never use my tabs other than to correct for which side my cooler is on In 3 footers I will nose her down some into them.

I was running about 80 for a while but never found a spot she seemed to smooth out. When we were heading into the waves headed out obviosley it was worse.

Where are you running your drives?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by laszlo01
I would suggest taking the Tre Martin class, best money you will spend, you will really understand how to run your boat safely at high speed as well as rough water set points. I took it this past summer and loved it. JMHO

A great idea. Until I get the other boat gone or the wife goes back to work I'm trying to control spending, or at least pretending to.....

I do have a lot of time behind the wheel of 35' Fountain, 38' Fountain, and 38' Formula even though the Hustler is the biggest power boat I have personally owned so far. So that does give me a point of reference. At least to me the Hustler seems to ride much different......but it hauls ass too!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

In that water where were your drives trimmed at? Keep the drives tucked in a little bit to use the long nose.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
In that water where were your drives trimmed at? Keep the drives tucked in a little bit to use the long nose.
Probably running them a little far out. It was very suprising to me that it will carry the nose like it does. Pretty much everything over 35' I have driven rides pretty flat regardless of trim angle. They are just too long to lift the bow very much. This boat you can keep trimming and watch the bow keep coming up. I guess it's just really light. Just different than what I'm use to.

I definitely will try bringing the nose down more and cut the waves with the bow rather than hitting them further back on the hull.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a step bottom boat so they ride and run level. You dont need to use alot trim. There's also alot of stern lift built into the hull.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kieffer4
Probably running them a little far out. It was very suprising to me that it will carry the nose like it does. Pretty much everything over 35' I have driven rides pretty flat regardless of trim angle. They are just too long to lift the bow very much. This boat you can keep trimming and watch the bow keep coming up. I guess it's just really light. Just different than what I'm use to.

I definitely will try bringing the nose down more and cut the waves with the bow rather than hitting them further back on the hull.
When heading into rough waves use the bow of the boat to cut the waves, this is what its made to do, the angle on the bow is much greater then further back, neutral trim with a touch of tab and watch the horizon line with reference to the bow, you will notice a much better ride for all on board and still maintain the speed you are looking for. Dont want to be loose or bow high in the rough water it will just beat the passengers up and is unsafe.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Registered

Thanks guys. Might be a few weeks before I get her out again and hopefully longer than that before we run the rough water again. Appreciate the info.

Kieffer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.