Drive and tab indicator cable lengths 388 Slingshot

Notices

Drive and tab indicator cable lengths 388 Slingshot

Old 03-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drive and tab indicator cable lengths 388 Slingshot

Hey guys,

Full of questions lately but trying to get use to driving the new boat and get her in tip top shape. I have a 98' 388 and want to replace the drive and tab indicator cables. They look pretty bad and are sticking. I'm looking for what length cables to order.

Length?

Specific brand?

Maybe part #'s?

Anyone have a recomended place to purchase?

Any install tips?

Thanks for any help.

Kieffer
Old 03-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Elite Marine
Call factory for length. They are Morse cables and we sell them lower than most places.

[email protected]

Kirk
Thanks,

Didnt get an answer but I shot an email. They usually get back to me pretty quick.

Kieffer
Old 03-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Registered

Got the cables on order from Hustler. How big of a pain is it going to be to swap them. A buddy of mine at a local shop quoted me two hours so that means about twelve for me....
Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kieffer4
Got the cables on order from Hustler. How big of a pain is it going to be to swap them. A buddy of mine at a local shop quoted me two hours so that means about twelve for me....

Tell us what there were please, I replaced my tabs ones and cant remember. I need to replace my drive ones also.

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:48 AM
Registered

i need to replace my drive cables as well
Old 03-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Registered

When they come in I'll get the lengths and other info and post it up.

Kieffer
Old 03-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Registered

Cables came in. 28, 26, 25, and 22 foot long Mach Series Uflex cables. I'm guessing:

Port Drive 28
Starboard Drive 26
Port Tab 25
Starboard Tab 22

But I could be wrong. Maybe they start longest from far port and get shorter.....

May have time to get started this weekend. Anyone have any tips on doing this before I get started?

EDIT: Mel at Hustler confirmed this. Cables went in fine with plenty of lenght.

Last edited by Kieffer4; 03-25-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't have my notes in front of me, but I think you'll find that the two longest cables go to the port side. This was a really tough job on my boat. All the cables,wiring,etc to the stern area run through a 4" tube that starts near the stern,runs under the floor and ends by the double-walled bulkhead in front of the dash.Removing the door arch trim piece gives you access to the back of the dash. The stuff is all bundled so its tough pulling the old cables through the bundle. When we started to pull the last old cable forward, we tied a 1",woven fiberglass ribbon to the end of the old cable so we'd have a snake to pull the new cables to the stern. The size of the bundle in the tube didn't leave a lot of room to pull the new cables rearward. The other tough part was dealing with the spring loaded tab indicators which will go flying if you don't try to cover that area of the dash with a towel. If you do a search here,there was quite a bit of info on doing this job. Maybe the newer Slingshots are easier. We could at least get to the stern end of the tube easily because with the #5's/Hubers,the motors weren't against the stern. Rob did his cables about the same time I did mine. Perhaps he'll chime in?? Good luck!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Registered

Got them all in. All new cables pulled through using the old ones. Two drive cables fairly easy since they came through the transom above the motors. Starboard tab not too bad. Port tab took a while but still went easier than I had imagined.

Still have to finish the dash tomorrow night but glad I decided to do it. I was really concerned about getting the new cables through the tube but they went much easier than expected.

Going to be nice having smooth indicators again!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Kieffer4
Got them all in. All new cables pulled through using the old ones. Two drive cables fairly easy since they came through the transom above the motors. Starboard tab not too bad. Port tab took a while but still went easier than I had imagined.

Still have to finish the dash tomorrow night but glad I decided to do it. I was really concerned about getting the new cables through the tube but they went much easier than expected.

Going to be nice having smooth indicators again!
Hey when your finished come on up here and Ill help ya do mine My tab ones got caught up in there buffer when the buffed my transom.the shell is broken open and bent in half, they still work for now but its coming.They really need springs on the to keep the slack out of them. LMarth boat has them ,mine didn't come with them.not sure if they help or not, but there is slack in mine. the drive cable also.

Hey thanks for the measurements!!!
Rob
Attached Thumbnails Drive and tab indicator cable lengths 388 Slingshot-11-07-2-263.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.