Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Need Motor And Cam Help With 454 !!! >

Need Motor And Cam Help With 454 !!!

Notices

Need Motor And Cam Help With 454 !!!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Motor And Cam Help With 454 !!!

Hello I am new to this site but go fast boats have always been a passion . I have a 24' go fast boat and I am building motor right now and looking for some cam and motor tips from you guys. I have talked to a couple of guys on scream and fly and got some good advice.

What I am looking for are some hard facts with cam, crank, piston, intake and heads specs. Looking for some tips from guys who built 500 HP motors. It seems like everyone is blown or charged but right now that is not in my budget.

So any help would be great. This is what i have so far

Gen 5 stock 454 310 HP motor that came with 8-1 compr.
What i wanted to do is use the stock crank, pistons, valves and then ad a nice flat tappet roller cam, rect port heads, victor junior intake, 800 marine carb, Matching springs for cam, Roller rockers and I am looking to get into the 500 HP range.

Here are some questions I have !
I called lunati and Comp , they gave me a flat tappet and a roller cam set up. Is this as far as I can go without major machining ? I posted the info on the two lunati and comp cams they told me to use.
CAMSHAFT SPECIFICATIONS:

HYDRAULIC ROLLER: Great midrange torque and power. Likes 2000 RPM stall converter and headers.
Hyd.
Hyd.
1800-5400
NA
HYDRAULIC FLAT TAPPET: Mid–level performance street cam with excellent drivability. Exceptional replacement for "muscle car type cam" with automatic transmissions. Works well with stock type exhaust manifolds and dual plane intake with mild 4 bbl carb. This is an Awesome 4X4 and performance marine cam where "Dry“ exhaust is used. Excellent in oval port engines.
Hyd
Hyd
1400-5800
NA
112°
ABOVE ARE LUNATI CAMS
BELOW ARE COMP CAMS
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...?csid=596&sb=2http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...?csid=405&sb=2

What do you guys think about the cams ?

To raise my compression should I get longer connecting rods or pistons ? I would like to be at around 10-1 comp.

Should I get roller rockers 1.7 or the stainles ones.

I guess I would like a couple of good recipes for reliable power. One with my stock 454 block and one converting to a 496 or better. I would like to piece together as much of this stuff as I can so any specs, #s and name brands would be very helpfully thanks.

Remember you can never have to much HP
Old 03-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

I like the first cam choice you listed over the second one. I could go on and on however it sounds like your on the right track. If you stay 454/468 I would consider the Edelbrock Air Gap intake over the single plane. If you decide to stroke it to 496 I would consider the Dart intake. Out of the box they make more power than the Victor Jr's. Both are good intakes though. I would also consider staying around 9.5 to 1 unless you go with aluminum heads. Another thing to consider is your exhaust. You may want to look for a used set of gils or cmi's, etc. It would help a great deal if you can give us an honest $ amount that you plan to put into your new build. There are so many options depending on how much you want to spend. Sounds like your on the right track though. Also do a search on 454 on roids or 330's on roids. There is a ton of info that you can get good info from.

Hope this helps a little. Your 500 hp goal is very achievable with a 454. If you decide to stroke it I would imagine you'd be closer to 575-600 hp without going crazy. Also check out adperformance.com They have some pretty good deals on stroker kits. I will be dynoing my 496's this Friday. Hopefully with decent results.

Good luck and have fun here.

John
Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I like the first cam choice you listed over the second one. I could go on and on however it sounds like your on the right track. If you stay 454/468 I would consider the Edelbrock Air Gap intake over the single plane. If you decide to stroke it to 496 I would consider the Dart intake. Out of the box they make more power than the Victor Jr's. Both are good intakes though. I would also consider staying around 9.5 to 1 unless you go with aluminum heads. Another thing to consider is your exhaust. You may want to look for a used set of gils or cmi's, etc. It would help a great deal if you can give us an honest $ amount that you plan to put into your new build. There are so many options depending on how much you want to spend. Sounds like your on the right track though. Also do a search on 454 on roids or 330's on roids. There is a ton of info that you can get good info from.

Hope this helps a little. Your 500 hp goal is very achievable with a 454. If you decide to stroke it I would imagine you'd be closer to 575-600 hp without going crazy. Also check out adperformance.com They have some pretty good deals on stroker kits. I will be dynoing my 496's this Friday. Hopefully with decent results.

Good luck and have fun here.

John
I plan to get some diffrent pipes but that wont be until later on. Those dam things are alot of money .

I am trying to find deals on parts and get the stuff that I need. I am looking at buying some stuff used and others new to save money. I am working on my short block and trying to figure out the cam set up. What do you think about the comp cams ? I posted the links below. What kind of cam are you running in your 496s ? I hope your dyno results are off the charts .
Did you build your 496s ? what would i have to do to my block to make it a 496 ? and what would I have to buy meaning crank size etc if I wanted to buy it piece by piece thanks.

Mike
Old 03-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Registered

I would just do as you mentioned and find parts and pieces as you go and find. There are a lot of good parts for sale here however you really need to have your mind somewhat set as to what your build is going to be otherwise you'll probably end up with a lot of extra parts. By going with a stroker rotating assm you will gain much more power. Check out the site I posted earlier to get some ideas on cost. Also I would seriously consider getting some good exhaust early on with your project even if it is some of the old 496 manifolds. You should be able to find some decent exhaust/risers for around 800.00 to 1,000.00. I went with custom comp grind. Roller set up. figure on around 800.00 minimum extra to go hyd. roller. Well worth it though. My builds are basically 496 CI, Dart Pro 1 heads, Dart intakes, Comp Roller Cam 244/248 - 647/637 on a 111. 9.8 to 1 comp. BG 850 Carb. It's a twin application in a 32' boat. Only 6,400 pds. I really hate to speculate on HP and torque however will find out Friday. If I'm near 600 hp at 6000 RPM I'll be happy.

Keep your eyes peeled for parts daily. In fact someone on the board had a stroker rotating assm. for sale a while back. If I can think of who it was or can locate it I will forward it on to you. For the extra bucks I would stroke it especially if you have a single. I started out similar to what your doing a while back and just wanted to freshen up the engines and cams and intakes. Needless to say I went a little more than anticipated however now there isn't much more I can do unless I go bigger cubes.

Just know whatever you plan to spend you better double it. You probably know that though. LOL....
Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I would just do as you mentioned and find parts and pieces as you go and find. There are a lot of good parts for sale here however you really need to have your mind somewhat set as to what your build is going to be otherwise you'll probably end up with a lot of extra parts. By going with a stroker rotating assm you will gain much more power. Check out the site I posted earlier to get some ideas on cost. Also I would seriously consider getting some good exhaust early on with your project even if it is some of the old 496 manifolds. You should be able to find some decent exhaust/risers for around 800.00 to 1,000.00. I went with custom comp grind. Roller set up. figure on around 800.00 minimum extra to go hyd. roller. Well worth it though. My builds are basically 496 CI, Dart Pro 1 heads, Dart intakes, Comp Roller Cam 244/248 - 647/637 on a 111. 9.8 to 1 comp. BG 850 Carb. It's a twin application in a 32' boat. Only 6,400 pds. I really hate to speculate on HP and torque however will find out Friday. If I'm near 600 hp at 6000 RPM I'll be happy.

Keep your eyes peeled for parts daily. In fact someone on the board had a stroker rotating assm. for sale a while back. If I can think of who it was or can locate it I will forward it on to you. For the extra bucks I would stroke it especially if you have a single. I started out similar to what your doing a while back and just wanted to freshen up the engines and cams and intakes. Needless to say I went a little more than anticipated however now there isn't much more I can do unless I go bigger cubes.

Just know whatever you plan to spend you better double it. You probably know that though. LOL....
This guy on swap shop just posted a cran hp 500 roller cam for sale , what do you think about that cam ?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Registered

That's a great cam also. That would be another suggestion. It's a proven cam and works well. You could also call Bob M. and get some help however you'll want to have some other particulars figured out. Heads, intake, carb, comp., etc.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Need Motor And Cam Help With 454 !!!

i use a similar hyraulic roller cam with stainless roller rockers and stud girdles with oval port heads. Valves are 2.18 intake and 1.88 exhaust severe duty valves. I have the compression about 9.-9.5 to 1 and use eagle rods ( a new set is slightly more than reconditioning to old ones) and a cloyes tru roller timing set. I get slightly less than 500 hp with slightly more than 500 ft/lbs tourqe. adding an 8-71 blower at 6lbs of boost adds another 100 to 125 hp. Engine life is good and maintence is minimal.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You will not get 500HP from a flat tappet cam on a 454 unless you run real high RPM. Also the Crank, rods and pistons are cast. On a 454 large oval would work better than Rec. Anything you attempt to do on a budget will most likely cost you later. I have blown it up many times doing the same thing you are attempting to do right now. To build a standard Gen V 454 correctly you would need to scrap nearly everything on the motor except the block. I would get a forged stroker kit, large oval heads, aftermarket exhaust and a full roller cam from RMbuilder, oil cooler and a bunch of other misc parts. That will get you 500HP at the prop. Good luck with your project.
YOUR FIRST UPGRADE SHOULD BE THE EXHAUST WITH LONG RISERS!!!
Performance cams will cause reversion with stock exhaust and blow it up. Do not go cheap on marine builds, I learned the hard way.
I use the Comp Cams stainless rollers.

Last edited by jeffswav; 03-15-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Registered

Hey I just went through this earlier this summer when I re did my motor
basically all I re used was the engine block
crank, rods, and pistons I ditched and got all forged internals, and small dome pistons to raise the compression
also go with a set of early style large oval port heads
DO NOT USE rectangle heads, with the small cubic inches and low rpms a good set of large ovals that have a mild port job will make more power and torque in what you want to do
I also went with a custom hyd roller cam from Bob Madera
also for lifters dont use anything but the crane hyd roller lifters or the Morels or the Gatorman ones
the rest of them are junk, stay away from the comp ones etc.
If your interested I can give the full build specs on my motor
it will make over 500hp on pump gas in the boat
email me at [email protected] if you want
Old 03-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cbellamore
Hey I just went through this earlier this summer when I re did my motor
basically all I re used was the engine block
crank, rods, and pistons I ditched and got all forged internals, and small dome pistons to raise the compression
also go with a set of early style large oval port heads
DO NOT USE rectangle heads, with the small cubic inches and low rpms a good set of large ovals that have a mild port job will make more power and torque in what you want to do
I also went with a custom hyd roller cam from Bob Madera
also for lifters dont use anything but the crane hyd roller lifters or the Morels or the Gatorman ones
the rest of them are junk, stay away from the comp ones etc.
If your interested I can give the full build specs on my motor
it will make over 500hp on pump gas in the boat
email me at [email protected] if you want
I think you have almost the same setup I do!! Copy Cat!! I hope I gave you good advice last year. The cam is what really makes it run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.