388 cockpit drain? >

388 cockpit drain?

Notices

388 cockpit drain?

Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 388 cockpit drain?

What's the deal? Washed the boat. No water in the bilge or anywhere else. Put the boat in the water and cabin starts filling with water. Check and bilge is dry. Water coming out around hatch at cabin steps. Turn on forward bilge pump (obviousley float switch not working) and pump out water. No more problem. No more rain or washing. Launch the boat again. Same thing. Am I getting water that is trapped under the cockpit? Engine bay is dry. I don't like the idea of standing water anywhere in the boat.

I'm assuming the cockpit drains to the forward sump just inside the cabin. Does water get trapped in there? I can't come up with any other explanation......

If so should it all drain to the sump on level ground?

Sorry for all the questions but still learning the boat. Going out Sunday so we'll see what happens this time....
Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Kieffer4
What's the deal? Washed the boat. No water in the bilge or anywhere else. Put the boat in the water and cabin starts filling with water. Check and bilge is dry. Water coming out around hatch at cabin steps. Turn on forward bilge pump (obviously float switch not working) and pump out water. No more problem. No more rain or washing. Launch the boat again. Same thing. Am I getting water that is trapped under the cockpit? Engine bay is dry. I don't like the idea of standing water anywhere in the boat.

I'm assuming the cockpit drains to the forward sump just inside the cabin. Does water get trapped in there? I can't come up with any other explanation......

If so should it all drain to the sump on level ground?

Sorry for all the questions but still learning the boat. Going out Sunday so we'll see what happens this time....

It goes both ways.For it to drain back the front has to be up.Under your seat the round side inspection plates ,in there is the out side of the outside stringer, this is the same as the engine attcheses to, and runs up front, its the same as under your water tank,the water usually runs froward to the front step. also what runs behind the windshield, dash etc runs into the step, also on the out side the side rear vent the water can fall in front of the rear bulkhead,which will run forward,in the space by the inspection plate there is about 2 inch rise for it to run to the drain hole that runs rear ward, yours prob has trash.fiberglass dust,stuff left over from building the boat, there is a lot, I even still find some in mine,what ever falls when building stays, I even found a combo wrench under my bilge pump plate that molded in the hull, the bilge pump was installed and the screw wedge it under the step plate, its funny the stuff ya find

the older Hustler have a front bilge pump that cycles every 15 second if there is water it pumps it out,this ran the battery down, they change that,mine is manual and no float switch, Ive seen a 99 that had one with a built in float switch.

I'm not good at explaining in writing but,Hopefully this helped?I can prob better explain over the phone if ya want.

I have picks of all these compartments, let me dig them up

Rob
Attached Thumbnails 388 cockpit drain?-cover-001-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 03-13-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Rob
VIP Member

pick..............................
Attached Thumbnails 388 cockpit drain?-hustler-primer-screwups-8-24-09-039-large-.jpg   388 cockpit drain?-hustler-primer-screwups-8-24-09-057-large-.jpg   388 cockpit drain?-hustler-paint-transom-040-medium-.jpg  

Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Rob
VIP Member

this is the hole, Below the inspection plate side, star side facing rear,you can see the rise is has to make to drain rearward, I beleave this is becasue of the step. guessing here.I bet this is stopped up????
Attached Thumbnails 388 cockpit drain?-transom-bildg-069-large-.jpg  

Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Rob
VIP Member

hope this is what your talking about?

The 2 rear drain holes drain into this area, the side compartment is right in front of this, this channel, stringer is nosed down the water will run into the front step. All the front compartment also run into this front step, ck all the drain holes, there will be left over building stuff,I have also seen the front anchor locker drain stop up and the wiring is about a foot above the drain hole and water will run back from there also.

The front step will look full with just 5 galls in it, it will over flow into the floor area if to full.

with the boat in the water it will not drain rearward with the steps,norm.

Stay on top of the front step pump, I have replaced mine a few times.

also ck the holes and make sure there sealed, Hustler

The compartment behind the ac/dc panel in the same channel that the water is in.

hollar if ya need some help

Rob
Attached Thumbnails 388 cockpit drain?-transom-bildg-084-large-.jpg  

Old 03-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Registered

i replaced my step pump last year, put in an automatic,cycles every 2 minutes
Old 03-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Registered

Unhappy

Thanks for all the info. I vacuumed out all the compartments I could find opening to a while back. There may be some areas I didnt get to that may have a little trash in them. I was going to put the boat in the water this weekend and see if it happened again but found a busted top cap on one of my drives. Grounded until I get some parts in.....

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
hope this is what your talking about?

The 2 rear drain holes drain into this area, the side compartment is right in front of this, this channel, stringer is nosed down the water will run into the front step. All the front compartment also run into this front step, ck all the drain holes, there will be left over building stuff,I have also seen the front anchor locker drain stop up and the wiring is about a foot above the drain hole and water will run back from there also.

The front step will look full with just 5 galls in it, it will over flow into the floor area if to full.

with the boat in the water it will not drain rearward with the steps,norm.

Stay on top of the front step pump, I have replaced mine a few times.

also ck the holes and make sure there sealed, Hustler

The compartment behind the ac/dc panel in the same channel that the water is in.

hollar if ya need some help

Rob