Surface Drives >

Surface Drives

Notices

Surface Drives

Old 03-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Surface Drives

Why didn' t the surface drive ever really make it for production boats? I was reading an old article from the 80's and it was saying how it was superior it was to the I/O in simplicity, weight, installation, drag, ect. I've always loved the roost a surface drive kicks but I'm curious why this drive really never caught on?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for most applications the surface drive would not work, you needed the prop down in the water and tucked under to get the boat on plane.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hoozeyurdaddy
for most applications the surface drive would not work, you needed the prop down in the water and tucked under to get the boat on plane.
You obviously have not had the experience of owning or being in a boat that has an Arneson. They work great, and when set up properly, work even better.
The reason why it did not work out is cause of.....Mercury's Monopoly... their ability to manipulate the market place.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
You obviously have not had the experience of owning or being in a boat that has an Arneson. They work great, and when set up properly, work even better.
The reason why it did not work out is cause of.....Mercury's Monopoly... their ability to manipulate the market place.
Thats what I thought, which is too bad. It just seems like such a superior design to the sterndrive. I wish they were a bit cheaper or easier to find used. I'd love an arneson on my Formula!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to have a 21 Eliminator center counsole bow rider with a Kaama drive. It was a fun boat. If I hadn't worked for Kaama, I would never been able to afford it. You not only have the cost of the drive assembly, but also a transmission, external steering, and a workable prop.
A Bravo would have been a heck of allot cheaper, and only a couple of MPH slower.

Last edited by offshore2; 03-15-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Registered

Heres a cool vid on Arnesons Bravo conversion on a Formula

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxjsIl3F3x8
Old 03-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered

Default Fixx

i wouldn't say its a flop,,do a search on marine surface drives,they are popular on the bigger sport cruisers..

this one here caught my eye a few years ago,cool concept.

http://www.weismann.net/Press%20Page...annDuoProp.htm
Old 03-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Surface drives are not prone to breaking as often as the black stuff, especially when you put any kind of power in front of them.Not to say the black stuff is not any good but my personal opinion is they are built to break. The first time I say an XR drive torn down I was shocked to see how thin the castings between the between the bearings and the outer parts of the drive. No wonder bearings spin in the housings and take everything out. A lot of $$$$$ is made buy selling parts and labor fpr repairing these things. Even the #6 which is a great drive, man its cost a lot of dough to have them gone through thoroughly and thats not even if they are broken. I am only speaking about Kaamas they are pretty simple and no special tools required the repair them.Parts are all available,if you look for them. Bearings, seals at any bearing supplier shafts are still available by the original manufacturer that built them in the 80,s. Housings are getting hard to find but are still out there. Boot are really to find. Arnesons Im sure are better yet. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Registered

Simpler is better! I really don't understand why the indusry didn't go more with the surface dirve. Or at least more consumer demand. It kind of reminds me of the tucker automobile! Far superior but not allowed to compete!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Registered

Power boat magazine did an article on Arneson's a few years back, some good reading. I have seen several "balls out" turbine boats that run surface drives. I think they work really well behind boats with HUGE power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.