Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Can anyone think of a reason NOT to use hyd roller lifters with a flat tappet cam? >

Can anyone think of a reason NOT to use hyd roller lifters with a flat tappet cam?

Notices

Can anyone think of a reason NOT to use hyd roller lifters with a flat tappet cam?

Old 03-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone think of a reason NOT to use hyd roller lifters with a flat tappet cam?

So I got these motors with flat tappet hydraulic cams and lifters. I also have a couple sets of hydraulic roller lifters. I am thinking that I should be abble to just change out the lifters and not have to mess with the springs or anything else since I am not changing the lift, duration, centerline or anything - just making a little less friction and heat. Could just leave it alone and sell the hyd roller lifters, or buy roller cams... Just wondering if there is a down side to it...

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spunner
So I got these motors with flat tappet hydraulic cams and lifters. I also have a couple sets of hydraulic roller lifters. I am thinking that I should be abble to just change out the lifters and not have to mess with the springs or anything else since I am not changing the lift, duration, centerline or anything - just making a little less friction and heat. Could just leave it alone and sell the hyd roller lifters, or buy roller cams... Just wondering if there is a down side to it...

Thanks!
I am no engine expert, but I believe a flat tappet cam has a different lobe than a roller cam would. Also I believe a roller cam is made of a harder steel than a flat tappet cam.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Yes, rollers do have a more radical open and close - which is made possible by having the roller. This is also why different springs are necessary. Since I am not changing the cam specs, mechanically it would stand to reason that the roller lifters couldn't "hurt" anything.... Anyone? Anyone? Ferris?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:17 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

The flat tappet cam lobes are cut on a slight angle, roller cams are not. The flat tappet cam uses the full base diameter of the lifter to achieve its lift and duration the roller lifter does not.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

NO, you cannot do that. Rollers cams flat accross the surface and flat tappet cams actualy have a slight tapper to them witch cause the lifer to rotate. They are completly different and cannot be mixed and matched.

Last edited by jeffswav; 03-15-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Registered
VIP Member

That wasn't something I wanted to hear Thanks for the info though. I guess I will just leave it be. Anyone need a couple sets of hydraulic roller lifters
Old 03-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spunner
That wasn't something I wanted to hear Thanks for the info though. I guess I will just leave it be. Anyone need a couple sets of hydraulic roller lifters
Or just buy 2 roller camshafts? even used ones are ok if they are in good shape.

Michael
Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Registered

Default Roller Lifters

Are they for Gen VI motor? Might be interested at the right price. Email me at [email protected]. Thanks
Old 03-21-2010, 01:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default flat tappet cam and roller lifters

the tapered design of the flat tappet cam lobes and the hardening process used on flat tappet cams are not compatible with roller lifters. the combination will fail in short order. for cheap roller cams check competition products in wisconsin for factory takeouts and surplus. the specs are in the range used in marine and trucks. I got two big block hydraulic rollercams for $30.00 each. they have been in service a long time and work well.