Cabin Carpet In 353 Fastec >

Cabin Carpet In 353 Fastec

Notices
Formula

Cabin Carpet In 353 Fastec

Old 03-15-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin Carpet In 353 Fastec

Has anyone replaced the carpet in their cabin on a 353 Fastec? I have an '05 and the carpet has been wet for quite some time and I am considering replacing it. Anyone know how difficult it is? Where to get the carpet? How much is the replacement? Anyone ever change colors? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm in the flooring business and I've had my installers do a few boats over the years. Not that many because most people don't want to pay the money it takes to do it right.

Few tips,

Remove as much as you can that sits on the carpet, ie: seats, trim, etc. Then get the old out, clean the surface as well as you can, perfect is not really required here, just scraped reasonably well.

New carpet can be found at any carpet store, most cabin carpet is no different than that you would put in your home. The one difference in the carpet is that most all boat manufacturers use what is refered to as "unbacked goods". It is the same except the "secondary backing" is left off. This makes the carpet more plyable and a whole lot easier to work around bends and curves, when glued in it will not effect the durability of the carpet. Most carpet mills do not do the backing in house, they send the goods out to a backer. So if you ask some will send you the carpet minus the secondary backing.

Cut and rough fit it all, make templates if that's easier for you. Then glue it in. Make sure you get an adhesive that has a very fast grab so that you are not chasing it for hours on end. Contact cement works, but not very easy to adjust if you miss a little when you put it in.

Not read hard a job, just time consuming. Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm in the process of doing this in my 242. I managed to get all the carpet out minus what is under the cabinets. I see no way to get that carpet removed short of pulling the cabinets. Which I tried and they will not move. I called Formula about pulling them and the guy laughed. He said if I got them out they would not be in one piece. With mine I'm going to use Spradling Whisper Vinyl from under the seats to the floor and then carpet. I "think" this will look better than all carpet. I'll post some pics when I'm done! Should look really nice.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My "Guy" is going to replace my carpet in the next week or so and I'll be there to take notes for you. I have a 353 and have taken out the interior to re-skin the seats and replace the carpet. Not wet or anything, just an update to 2010 stuff. If you decide to replace it with the Formula factory carpet, call Scott at TAG or contact Boilerdaddy here on the fourm (same Guy). He'll give you a good deal!

Dave
Old 03-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by axapowell
My "Guy" is going to replace my carpet in the next week or so ....
Dave

Out of curiousity here, what's the face weight of the carpet material Formula is using, and how much per square yard/foot is a good deal?

Larry the Canvas Guy doing this part as well?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Where To
VIP Member

I don't know the specs...I got it on a roll right from Formula. I can get a price from them, but it was part of the package deal. They threw the carpet in with the hefty purchase of the skins!

Yes, Larry is doing that as well!

Dave
Old 03-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by axapowell
I don't know the specs...I got it on a roll right from Formula. I can get a price from them, but it was part of the package deal. They threw the carpet in with the hefty purchase of the skins!

Yes, Larry is doing that as well!

Dave

Not a big deal, was just wondering if there was a market for this. Some of the numbers I see are so far out of touch with reality.

Larry's the man! He's done a little nip tuck for me as well.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just another testimonial for Larry, he fixed a pulled rear seat seam for me, awesome job. Does he do cockpit covers? the sunbrella-ness of my current one is on the down side.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 5PMSMWHR
just another testimonial for Larry, he fixed a pulled rear seat seam for me, awesome job. Does he do cockpit covers? the sunbrella-ness of my current one is on the down side.

Yes he does! Pretty much if you can make it out of some sort of fabric Larry can do it.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 5PMSMWHR
Yes he does. In August, he will take care of you! I'll ask him what he thinks next week (29th) when he's on my boat!

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.