Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
older Bravo 1 upper and newer bravo 1 lower? >

older Bravo 1 upper and newer bravo 1 lower?

Notices

older Bravo 1 upper and newer bravo 1 lower?

Old 03-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default older Bravo 1 upper and newer bravo 1 lower?

I am in a jam. I recently bought this boat knowing the one outdrive needed some work. I took it off and the mechanic said I needed a new lower unit, the upper appeared to have just been rebuilt. So I got a great deal on two low water picks bravo 1's lowere units. I tood them to him only to find out what I bought was new style 2001 and my upper unit is older style 1990 or 89 unsure. Some are telling me that the only difference is the oil hole on the top of the lower unit on the new style, and not to worry it will just be plugged off. Another mechanic said that so much pressure will build up that it will not seal. Can someone here give me more insight? has anyone else had this problem? my mechanic is suggesting that i find a newer upper case and put my guts from the older into it. But then I will have one drive newer style and one drive older style. I just wanted to put the new lower units on what i have so both match.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Registered

you can plug the hole in the lower just drill and tap for pipe plug it will not build up to much pressure also use a drive shower to cool the drive.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Registered

thanks Past due