Steering question about my 242 for all of you

Notices
Formula

Steering question about my 242 for all of you

Old 03-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering question about my 242 for all of you

When my boat is just idling I can’t keep it “down the middle” I have to constantly steer it left and right to keep it strait. There is a lot of play in the steering. When I am under power and on plane, the boat is just fine. There is no play in the steering. What is the deal with this? Why is there only play in the steering when I am just idling? Obviously something is not right. Can you guys shed some light on this for me please? I have yet to see a thread about this problem.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Registered

sounds like your overcorrecting, wait for boat to respond
Old 03-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a characteristic of a single-screw. Twin boats track much better when off-plane. I had a 223 and a 242 (amongst others) and both wandered around alot off-plane. My 311 with twins is much better. I don't think you have any excessive slop, you'd feel that at speed. The wandering is just something you have to deal with.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, I have driven plenty of other boats and have never had this problem before. I can see there being a little wondering but not as much as there is. It is as though there is no midships. it wants to wander to either port or starboard when idling. Its pretty hard to keep her down the middle. Could it be a little bit low on hydraulic fluid?