intake Manifold to use on BB Vortec Heads >

intake Manifold to use on BB Vortec Heads

Notices

intake Manifold to use on BB Vortec Heads

Old 03-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake Manifold to use on BB Vortec Heads

Read many times folks are running Air gap manifolds on this forum with BB Vortec heads....

Quick question...have a 454 with Vortec heads (casting 279) Is the 7561 - Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap Manifold the one to use ?

Reason why I ask is that it states for use on eariler oval port heads. I assume the Vortec heads are have about the same intake port size as the eariler heads, correct ? (Not the "peanut" heads).

Also what carb ? Right now I have stock Weber 9780(s): not sure of the CFM on it...think the edlebrocks are weber carbs anyway.....don't quote me...

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited by RDP595; 03-30-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: add text
Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

if you want to save some coin theirs also the same manifold by professional products called crosswind..

http://www.professional-products.com...uctBBchevy.php

yes both will fit..
Old 03-31-2010, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the 7561 RPM Air Gap on the Vortec heads and you are quite correct. They are 'large oval port' heads and so is the 7561 manifold. Good idea to gasket match the manifold to the gasket and the same for the heads but that's about it. They line up pretty damn well from stock.

Depending on your motor set up (ie cam and exhaust) and whether or not you've got a full Vortec engine or just using the heads on a standard lower, your carb selection will become a big issue. I run a Holley 850 HP DP with 82 jets on all four corners. I tried a BG Demon 750 but found it a little too small. Remember, if your just adding the heads to a standard lower, your comp ratio will jump due to the small (100cc) combustion chambers on the Vortec heads in comparison to the ~118cc chambers on an open head.

Just food for thought. Let us know how you get on!