Slight milkshake on dipstick >

Slight milkshake on dipstick

Notices

Slight milkshake on dipstick

Old 04-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight milkshake on dipstick

Been running this setup for 5 years now. 540 ci NA motor.. aprox 9.1 comp. Roller motor..Timing locked out @ 34. Digital 6plus MSD box, MSD crank trigger and billet distributor. CMI Etop headers.

Cam: 114 Lobe Separation
Intake: 234 duration 572 peak valve lift @.050
Exhaust: 232 Duration 572 peak valve lift #.050

Crossover with merc pressure dump out the side. Block pressure never goes above 20psi. Hardine marine thermostatic oil filer head. Oil gets up to 220* in about 5-7 minutes from leaving the dock and never moves..

Made some minor adjustments this winter.

Changes
O2 Sensor bungs installed
Pyrometer bungs installed
1.6 ration intake rockers. (Exhaust same 1.5 ratio for past 5 years)
Outdrive gearing changed to 1.5 from 1.25.
Water lines from back 2 intake manifold ports to front 2 ports
Enlarged crossover to thermostat housing bypass line
Moved timing from 34 to 36.. Exhaust gas temps seemed to lower a bit with this change.

Motor was winterized the same way this year as all years past. Block fully drained. All water hoses including exhaust removed. Cooler water lines both removed. Antifreeze poured straight into block and into oil cooler. Motor was compression tested and leakdown tested last Oct (as done every year at the end). Still great numbers. Just about the same from year to year.

Got about 9 hours on the motor this spring so far. Running great. Checked oil level today and noticed some milkshake on the dipstick.. Nothing serious. But never ever ever there before.

Best guess I have right now is with the gear ratio on the outdrive changed the idle was able to be set lower.. close to 600 rpms in gear. Could this be reversion? I have not pulled any plugs yet.. Only other guess is the bungs in the exhaust were not sealed properly? (just a guess).

Any ideas?

One more thing. I check oil level almost everytime out.. This is the 5th or 6th run this spring and I have not noticed it before.

Last edited by JohnSchiavarelli; 04-11-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

Are you sure about those rocker arm ratios????
Maybe 1.8's and 1.7's????

I would guess that maybe you have an intake gasket that didn't seal whn the rear to front ports were installed.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are seeing it on the dipstick there is quite a bit of water in there, you have a issue...change and run but keep close eye on it...
Old 04-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Are you sure about those rocker arm ratios????
Maybe 1.8's and 1.7's????

I would guess that maybe you have an intake gasket that didn't seal whn the rear to front ports were installed.
I am sure about that.. Put them on myself in Dec.

I never removed the intake.. just took out the rear plugs and ran 6an line from rear to front..
Old 04-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
if you are seeing it on the dipstick there is quite a bit of water in there, you have a issue...change and run but keep close eye on it...
Would the oil level be higher then normal? How much is quite a bit? Pulled one cover off, not a drop of water anywhere..
Old 04-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its most likely reversion or you have an internal issue. (Head gasket is my first guess) I would change the oil and raise the idle up to whatever rpm you turned with the old ratio. If the oil comes back reversion is less likely.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by zt260
Its most likely reversion or you have an internal issue. (Head gasket is my first guess) I would change the oil and raise the idle up to whatever rpm you turned with the old ratio. If the oil comes back reversion is less likely.
I can do a quick comp check on it.. My gut tells mer reversion OR the welder did not seal up the bungs correctly? Would I notice something on the plugs? Easy to check them.

The oil level has not raised. And there is NO milk what-so-ever in the upper half (valve area). the milk on the dipstick is light.. I mean very light..
Old 04-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Im thinking the bungs might not have been welded up correctly. Your cam isnt to radical, plus i would think with the cmi headers reversion shouldnt be an issue. But just for he heck of it, i'd bump the idle up a bit to 700-750 in gear and see if that helps.

9 out 10 times, when a problem suddenly occurs, its most likely something you recently changed or messed with.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If any one plug looks different that's a sign of water in that cylinder. It also points to a head gasket Ect. Same goes for the compression test if there is any major variation.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Im thinking the bungs might not have been welded up correctly. Your cam isnt to radical, plus i would think with the cmi headers reversion shouldnt be an issue. But just for he heck of it, i'd bump the idle up a bit to 700-750 in gear and see if that helps.

9 out 10 times, when a problem suddenly occurs, its most likely something you recently changed or messed with.
I agree 100%.. this thing has run flawless for 5+ years.. has to be something I changed.. I will pull plugs tonight.. and shap a few photos..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.