outdrive painting?

Notices

outdrive painting?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outdrive painting?

has anyone ever painting their drives with por-15? this stuff seems super tough and should reduce any type of corrosion.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

I did an Alpha back in 05-06. Prepped really good according to POR instructions. Used gloss black POR15 and it looked awesome when done. Very glossy and dark color. Seemed to hold up very well against corrosion. Howver, boating in a flood control lake and going fast you are bound to catch small debris and chip the coating. Once water was able to penetrate behind the POR it started coming off in large flakes and sheets. Sanded it all off and have been using Merc black enamel since as it's easier to keep touched up.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Registered

Regular POR 15 does not hold up in the sun. I know there is a new UV formula Por 15 and have not tried it yet. Regular por 15 turned to chalk and washed of my boat trailer. Jeff Wurl
Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

try pitt-tech's industrial enamel...they have one for metals other than steel, and it won't flake like that...
Old 04-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Registered

I know the Glisten clear has held up amazingly well on my polished aluminum exhaust manifolds, polished aluminum valve covers and trailer mag wheels.... and on the stainless prop I painted at the same time to see how it would up...
Old 04-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Registered

I used POR-15 on my engine. Hated It!! Thought it was something I did. Just got done stripping down my lower tonight. Used some POR-15 I had in silver. Thought I'd give it another go. Used the prep stuff and all. This crap runs extremely bad!! I did a very light 1st coat came back 5 min. later and runs. If you can get the 1st coat not to run then a second coat isn't so bad. I'm not an expert painter but I'll never use POR-15 for anyhting again. Can't wait for the salt to eat this off so I can redo it with something else. Stay clear of POR-15.