Notices

plug wires

Old 04-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plug wires

Any way to test used plug wires to see if they are usable?

the ones I have are Taylor wires and I think when they are new they are cut to length and distributer boots are installed giving a custom length.

A few of the plug end boots are cut up and burned. I want to replace the factory molded plug boots instead of buying all new wires. The wires look great. Just want to make sure before installing new boots.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can ohm test them
Old 04-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Jeff P31;3093837]
Originally Posted by toolsinbox
Any way to test used plug wires to see if they are usable?

Yep throw them in the garbage and if they don't jump out buy new ones.
agree especially if the ends are bad chances are the wires are on their last leg too. The ohm meter won't tell you if the insulation has cracks or if the spark is jumping out anywhere. it's worth the $50 for a new set.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

I know I am not aswering your question as it sounds like it's already been answered however I typically replace wires about ever 3 seasons just because. The most recent ones I bought were from patriot performance. Same place I bought my hei/dui's. They are very nice and already assm. and come in about 5 different colors.
Here is a link you can check out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BBC-B...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Registered

Thanks for the responces. It was a bit pre-mature for me to say they were "burned ", when I cleaned everything up there was no sign of heat damage. The wires themselves appear in great shape just the boots are cracking at the the mold seam.

Justin from Taylor wires e-mailed me back asking me for a photo so I sent him a few where he replied saying he would send me a new set of boots.

Justen also gave me the test procedure for the 8 mm wires which is as follows. Set digital ohm meter on lowest ohm setting. ( 200 ohms) With probes at each end of wires, on the terminals, meter should read 350 ohms per foot of wire showing a good wire.

Normally I would just chuck them out but have found myself on a very tite budget as of late. So I am doing the best I can to get out on the water. Hope this helps someone in the same boat.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep throw them in the garbage and if they don't jump out buy new ones.

I usually have one of my drunken friends grab each wire as the boat is running, If he starts to convulse, then you have a bad wire....
Old 04-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
I usually have one of my drunken friends grab each wire as the boat is running, If he starts to convulse, then you have a bad wire....
Old 04-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
Yup, It's always good to get the dumb ones that know nothing about engines on that one.