Notices

black streaks from snaps?

Old 04-24-2010, 02:10 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black streaks from snaps?

Any tips on what I can use on my snaps to keep them from leaving black streaks on my boat? I can get the streask off but I would rather prevent it from happening o rat least minimalize the streaking.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 04-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by SOX
Any tips on what I can use on my snaps to keep them from leaving black streaks on my boat? I can get the streask off but I would rather prevent it from happening o rat least minimalize the streaking.

Thanks,
Rob
pressure wash your cover,you need to get the dirt out of it..it gets dirty just like your car does before you wash it..then reseal it after it drys out..

http://www.winsol.com/2148.htm
Old 04-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

If the streaking is coming from just the snaps without the cover installed, I have read that putting a dab of clear silicon in the snap to prevent water getting in and slowly draining can work. Also, a good coat of wax on the snap exterior itself should help.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good suggestion on cleaning the cover, doing mine now along with the deck. I use the 303 cleaer, let it dry, then two coats of the 303 fabric guard for Sunbrella tops. Works real well.

You'll always get the black marks sometime though. Just keep the boat polished, then it makes the followup much easier.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:50 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
pressure wash your cover,you need to get the dirt out of it..it gets dirty just like your car does before you wash it..then reseal it after it drys out..

http://www.winsol.com/2148.htm
Thanks, I used a canvas cleaner and treated the cover aboput a month ago but I did not pressure wash it because I think it is original to the boat ('96) I have a pressure washer fort the weekend to do the siding I guess I'll give it a try on the cover tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:52 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
If the streaking is coming from just the snaps without the cover installed, I have read that putting a dab of clear silicon in the snap to prevent water getting in and slowly draining can work. Also, a good coat of wax on the snap exterior itself should help.
Thanks I'll put some silicone on the snaps, I have never left the cover off so I am not sure if it is coming from the male or female snap.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:53 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

I'll do all of the above and see if it helps and report back on my results, thanks for the input.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Leave the boat inside and don't let it get rained on, thats what I do. Yea I realize everyone can't do that, mine does the same thing went I get caught out in the rain. I just wipe of the residue, I would wipe it off anyway because I would not want the water spots. I am not sure what causes that, maybe somone else will.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Not an option at this time.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey Rob. I just picked up a semi-custom cover from boatcovers.com. It covers the whole boat and comes down below the rubrail. When it rains the water just drips straight down. Never touching the sides of the boat. The whole thing shipped only weighs 16lbs. That weight included all the accesories too. I got the cover, 2poles, tie-down straps and ratchet for the elastic tie which is sewn into the seam. Breathable fabric too. All for $353.00. Maybe this is a option. I got tired of everytime I wanted to take the boat out I would have to clean the blackstreaks off of it myself. How is the boat? I see you got it out already this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.