1996 Baja Twin 2002 Hp 500 Efi Help >

1996 Baja Twin 2002 Hp 500 Efi Help

Notices

1996 Baja Twin 2002 Hp 500 Efi Help

Old 05-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Baja Twin 2002 Hp 500 Efi Help

Hello to all new be here hoping someone could give me a little advive.about 3 weeks ago i purchased 96 32 ft baja outlaw took it out 1 time she ran great plenty of pwer good speed low 80"s mph engines are only supposed to have 200 hours on them however after returning to dock i broke lower shift cable and let boat sit for 3 weeks after i got the shift cable i looked into engines and found lots of water in the oil in them.they have the cmi headers on them but after inspecting i found that there where no shuters up in the 4 pipes only the rubber flap on outside now im scared ive spent alot of money on this boat .what is the best way geting all water out of engines cant get to bottom of oil pan so pumped it through dip stick and filled again new oil still water what should i put in to disapate water.sorry for making this so long any insight would help my nerves are shot and my wife is digging in on me for buying the boat. could the shutters be the problem.thanks in advance for any help nick
Old 05-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by killer baja
Hello to all new be here hoping someone could give me a little advive.about 3 weeks ago i purchased 96 32 ft baja outlaw took it out 1 time she ran great plenty of pwer good speed low 80"s mph engines are only supposed to have 200 hours on them however after returning to dock i broke lower shift cable and let boat sit for 3 weeks after i got the shift cable i looked into engines and found lots of water in the oil in them.they have the cmi headers on them but after inspecting i found that there where no shuters up in the 4 pipes only the rubber flap on outside now im scared ive spent alot of money on this boat .what is the best way geting all water out of engines cant get to bottom of oil pan so pumped it through dip stick and filled again new oil still water what should i put in to disapate water.sorry for making this so long any insight would help my nerves are shot and my wife is digging in on me for buying the boat. could the shutters be the problem.thanks in advance for any help nick
Seriously i would approach the old owner and stick the barrel of my S&W 500 mag down his throat and say start talking!(joke)

First if you don't know that much about boats which it sounds like,you need to take the boat to a experienced boat tech and pay them to diagnose the problem before you go pulling the trigger and or ruining the engines if your in salt water you may as well pull them it they have been sitting with water in them for 3 weeks....

Your boat being a 1996 and having 500 efi engines,you may have a bad set of cmi headers,do a search on the older cmi headers and you will find that their were members with as low as 25hr's of use with water in their newer engines because of the cmi headers.

then i would contact the old owner and try to get some reimbursement $$$

Last edited by FIXX; 05-04-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Registered

VERY TEMPTED TO DRIVE THE 500 MILES BACK TO THE PREVIOUS OWNERS HOUSE BUT IT WILL PROBABLY END UP A TRIP TO JAIL IF I DID. IVE THOUGHT LONG AND HARD ABOUT going.so now i must try to fix this without breaking the bank .any suggestions on a good mechanic in miami area
Old 05-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd be curious about the history of the engines. 500eif's were not available until around 2001. So, where did the engines come from?

Get them scanned and see if they truly have 200 hours on them.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

VERY TEMPTED TO DRIVE THE 500 MILES BACK TO THE PREVIOUS OWNERS HOUSE BUT IT WILL PROBABLY END UP A TRIP TO JAIL IF I DID. IVE THOUGHT LONG AND HARD ABOUT going.so now i must try to fix this without breaking the bank .any suggestions on a good mechanic in miami area
you could either try Bam in pompano or cobra power in north miami, what dave said they werent built until 200? have them check hr meter in the pcm also..
Old 05-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Registered

The Boat Originally Came With 454" S And Then In 2002 The Hp 500 Efi Where Installed. I Will Take It By Cobra Marine And Check I First Want Pressure Check The Headers And Try To Find Where The Water Is Geting In At.u No I Really Like The Boat Its In Great Condition Other Than This Water Problem.anyways Thanks For The Advice Guys.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

If there has been salt water sitting in the engines for 3+ weeks then you are most likely going to need full rebuilds on both engines.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Registered

PROBLEM solved three oil changes later and lots of seafoam engine running good compression good just need to take care of the cmi headers leaking. everbody talks so good about them but they are crap almost tore my engines apart whats the deal on that.anything beter out there
Old 05-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Did you pressure check the CMI's to verify they are the problem?????? I find it highly unlikely that both sets started leaking at the same time.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Registered

Default Fixx

PROBLEM solved three oil changes later and lots of seafoam engine running good compression good just need to take care of the cmi headers leaking. everbody talks so good about them but they are crap almost tore my engines apart whats the deal on that.anything beter out there
like stated,have them pressure checked first,call cmi and their is a updated header or they may fix and update what you have.. at this point you may as well replace just your headers if they are bad,if you go into a different mfr of headers then you will need to replace the tail pipes and silent choice if you have it..could get pretty expensive...if it were mine i would get the cmi replacement headers...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.