Notices

Steerine Acctuator HELP!!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Steerine Acctuator HELP!!

Alright, so I am updating the steer cylinder on my 7.4 mag. My problem is I have to update the ends of my P/S lines as well. I have located the fittings that bolt into the actuator, but i found some Earl's fittings that might work.

Does any one know what thread size and pitch the holes are in the newer style mercrusier steering actuator?

I'm hoping that these will work so I can just crimp some steel AN lines onto my existing lines.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-961955ERL/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-961956ERL/
Old 05-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am assuming you are talking about the brazil valve? Easiest thing to do is replace the lines from the pump with the newer style, last time I had to do this, I searched all over for fittings, and could not find them. It costs more, but you get new lines outta the deal.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Registered

See that's just it, I have new custom lines already. I am hoping that I can just find the correct crimp on fittings to crimp onto my current lines.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Precision
See that's just it, I have new custom lines already. I am hoping that I can just find the correct crimp on fittings to crimp onto my current lines.
If they are custom why dont they fit?? Not trying to be a wiseasz, but when we did the one on Jay's baja, we bought the valve. didnt realize the newer ones have different fitting sizes, searched all over town for fittings, gave up and went to the bar, bought new lines from Merc on monday, went boating the following saturday.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered

They were custom to the older style actuator valve, I just hate to throw them away if I can convert them.

I might have to do some research and put together a kit to sell since no else does.

$40 in adapter fittings is better than $200 in new lines and having screw around in the engine bay to change them in my mind.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have custom made lines . I am using those exact fittings you linked above. They have to have those o-ring in them. Been using them for 2 years withiout a single issue.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Registered

Thanks Steve!!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Precision
They were custom to the older style actuator valve, I just hate to throw them away if I can convert them.

I might have to do some research and put together a kit to sell since no else does.

$40 in adapter fittings is better than $200 in new lines and having screw around in the engine bay to change them in my mind.
OK,

now I get it, didnt realize they were for the old valve. In that case, then if they work, that is a great idea, would have liked to have them back then
Old 05-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I converted mine over but changed the hoses as well, but I have seen those adapters for auto P/S use, might look there