dead boat, used once. :(

Notices

dead boat, used once. :(

Old 05-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead boat, used once. :(

Hey all, weird...

got a 05 fountain fever, and hopped in it yesterday and my batteries are dead... stupid me, i left the switch in the ON position for a few days, but should that have really drained the batteries?! the bilge wasn't running, nothing in the boat was left on... just dead batteries i think?! So my question is... i can't get to the battery in my engine compartment, cuz it's electrically opened.... so how do i go about jumping...

i see a lil jumpstart receptacle under the bench seat... but i have no clue how to use it, or if it takes special cables etc.... please advise. thanks!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:44 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just put your jump box on the posts as you would the battery and lift the hatch
Old 05-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Registered

what's a jumpbox?

I'd use a reg set of jumper cables, but the lil connections are flat, and i couldn't fit the teeth of the jumper cables onto them, because they are recessed.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered

additionally... maybe someone can educate the noob here...

I have a 'cranking' battery that i DO have access too, under the rear bench seat. Behind that... i have a switch labled 1, all, 2, off. indicating the batteries... i assume...but which is which... who knows....? to the left of that i have another switch labled OFF and ON, which allows or cuts electrical power... Obviously to start the boat, and use it, i put this switch in the ON position... and when storing it i SHOULD put it in the off position (i forgot.) My question is the other switch... what position should it be in, and when... does it matter? When the boat is not used, should i be pulling my cranking battery and charging it?

thanks!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:52 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

The boat should have a set of cables with one end that connects to those posts. Do you have those? A jump box is a portable battery jumper that u keep charged and then can just carry onto the boat when you need it. Maybe the size of a briefcase. Get them at auto parts store for like 100 bucks
Old 05-08-2010, 12:53 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

what part of the country are you in?
Old 05-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Registered

northern NY. Hmmm, ok, not sure i have those cables that fit into that little port.... any idea where i could get replacements if i can't find them?
Old 05-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danedee
northern NY. Hmmm, ok, not sure i have those cables that fit into that little port.... any idea where i could get replacements if i can't find them?
Buy the replacement cable from Fountain. In the mean time, open all circuits. That means your Perko's are in ALL position, and the switches are in ON.

Hook regular cables to the cranking battery, and it should be enough to lift the hatch.

If not, You can hook a jumper wire to the hatch switch under your dash and it will send enough current to slowly lift the hatch.

Or take it to the mechanic.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Registered

awesome... thanks! talked to previous owner, he never had the cables, so he just used a trickle charger/jumpbox to charge it when not in use.... recommendations: should i just buy a new deepcycle for the back, and a new cranking battery for under the seat... or buy a charger/jumpbox and charge up the ones that are in the boat currently?
Old 05-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 1,476 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by danedee
awesome... thanks! talked to previous owner, he never had the cables, so he just used a trickle charger/jumpbox to charge it when not in use.... recommendations: should i just buy a new deepcycle for the back, and a new cranking battery for under the seat... or buy a charger/jumpbox and charge up the ones that are in the boat currently?
I think I have that plug with the jumpers on the other end sitting in the shop. I forgot to give it/them to the new owner years ago. If your interested let me know. I would imagine it is the same configuration. It
's from a 42 Sig. Series.

Last edited by getrdunn; 05-08-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.