Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Whipple or Raylar: Problem Free or Not? >

Whipple or Raylar: Problem Free or Not?

Notices
View Poll Results: Have you had any problems or not with either Whipple or Raylar
Whipple: No problems
63.64%
Whipple: Problems!
0%
Raylar: No problems
36.36%
Raylar: Problems!
0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Whipple or Raylar: Problem Free or Not?

Old 05-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple or Raylar: Problem Free or Not?

I have been reading and talking to people lately about some engine mods and two that seem to be leading the pack in popularity is the Whipple and Raylar. Both seem to be fantastic products. But there is the other side of the thought process and that is not to mess with the engine because it was be nothing but problems.

I figured I would post the questions for both upgrades and see how has had issues or not.

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:47 PM
VIP Member

I have installed and run many different versions of Whipplechargers. The key is in the setup and tuning. If done correctly from the start, you will have many trouble free hours of use with no real impact on longevity as long as the motor is somewhat in a stock configuration.

I also like what Raylar has to offer. I guess I would evaluate if you want to tell your insurance agent about the power upgrades. Kinda hard for an adjuster to spot a raylar kit if you keep it stock looking, but you cannot hide a Whipple !!!

Either kit is a good way to increase power and speed.

Smitty
Old 05-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Registered

Smitty... thanks for the reply and the insurance is a good point.

I have also heard that once you mess with engine from stock the value will drop. But like you mentioned it has to be done right from the beginning. With that being said a well maintained upgraded engine.... does it still turn into a black sheep on the market?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are good ways to go for more power. However you must have both installed properly for optimal life expectancy.. They are both the only 2 I would consider for a 496. It just depends on what you feel more comfy with.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 05-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The Whipple is an excellent product. I have used them for the past 10 years or more and love them. As Smitty said, the key is setup from the beginning. Make sure the rest of the fuel system is sufficient (tank pickup, no anti-siphon valve, fuel lines are big enough, filter head is large enough, etc). The addition of the Whipple may impact the selling of the boat. It may not. However, you can always keep the stock parts and put it right back to stock when you put it up for sale. I have done it several times for customers.
Although I have never used Raylar's kit, I have heard great reviews. I don't think you will be sorry either way you go. Good luck with it and give me a shout if I can help.
Eddie
Old 05-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Registered

Thanks again for the replies.

Eddie... so the Whipple is more of a bolt on? Are there any major modifications to engine that needs to be done?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

No. Nothing that can't be easily reversed. As for the Raylar, a lot of it is bolt on parts as well. The Whipple will make more than the Raylar kit with bolt on parts. Raylar does also have some kits that include internal mods that work very well, but you must go into the engine. It will not be as easy to change back.
Eddie
Old 05-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Registered

Here you go. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...rts-496ho.html
Old 05-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 22 DAYTONA

That is some fantastic work!!! Thanks for the link, I think this will come in handy in the future.

Quick question.... was this the first time you ever did this kind of work to a marine engine? The attention to detail was perfect..... wish we lived closer, I'd love to see it in person and pick your brain.

Thanks again..... now my heart is racing!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Registered

Thanks for the compliments. I do a lot of hot rods here and have picked up about 10 marine rigging jobs in the past year. I do not build the motors, I just rig them and install them in the boat. I upgraded my package this winter. Here is the link to the new one. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ple-power.html
If you have any questions feel free to call me.
Thanks again Mitch 903-738-2007

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.