Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone run the Automotive Crane HI-6 box? >

Anyone run the Automotive Crane HI-6 box?

Notices

Anyone run the Automotive Crane HI-6 box?

Old 05-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone run the Automotive Crane HI-6 box?

they dont make marine version anymore, and looking for something that works with a mercruiser hall effect distributor. Does the auto hi-6 crane work and have any of you run it?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hall effect will work but the rotor needs to be removed, redrilled and re-phased to work with the Crane box. I talked to Crane @ SEMA show - they do not plan to make this box any more
Old 05-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by James
The hall effect will work but the rotor needs to be removed, redrilled and re-phased to work with the Crane box. I talked to Crane @ SEMA show - they do not plan to make this box any more
called crane, talked to them for a while.....cant be done unless you want your timing locked. Mercruiser thunderbold distributors dont have mechanical advances so the box would only run one timiing map. Thats why the marine version has all the din switches for different timing curves in the box.

bummer, so i orders a msd set up.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

put a MSD in it, thats what i did on both of mine. just did two more 454s this weekend, they run very nicely.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by prostockcat
put a MSD in it, thats what i did on both of mine. just did two more 454s this weekend, they run very nicely.
I have entire MSD set-up on way. Any tricks or tips on the install. Whats everyone doing for plug gaps with msd and plugs. think i have mine at .035 and ac 43 plugs? What do you do for springs and timing on yours
Old 05-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ballon78
I have entire MSD set-up on way. Any tricks or tips on the install. Whats everyone doing for plug gaps with msd and plugs. think i have mine at .035 and ac 43 plugs? What do you do for springs and timing on yours
This is a better system all you need is a power wire and will not leave you hangin like the msd will.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm
Old 05-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by ballon78
To begin with you should of had your plugs @ .045..With the msd start @ .050,that's where mine are at.before you install the distributor make you have the advanced numbers figured out first with the bushing installed under the advance wheel..next figure our when you want your advance to come in with the springs supplied with the distributor..The instructions will give you different combo's of what color springs to use at certain rpm.s..i set mine so its full advanced
at 3500 rpm's..make sure you do this first then you can play with the springs on the water to see what your engine likes..I think i have my sbc set with the 1 blue and one silver (small) springs

Edit

FYI, when timing your engine you can not use a digital advance timing light with msd when checking your total advance..you can use a standard dial timing light..

Last edited by FIXX; 05-11-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my hp500s I have the blue msd 6m-2 boxes with rev control boxes, and blaster coils and now have added new msd 85551 distributors, We put together with the lightest spring on both sides. you say i should gap my ngk plugs to .50
Old 05-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

blue springs and black washer. i set them to 34-35degrees at 3-3500 and u will be good.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by rssteiny
On my hp500s I have the blue msd 6m-2 boxes with rev control boxes, and blaster coils and now have added new msd 85551 distributors, We put together with the lightest spring on both sides. you say i should gap my ngk plugs to .50
page 3 and read up to 10.5 -1 .050-.060

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedF...structions.pdf