loud rattling noise from engine compartment >

loud rattling noise from engine compartment

Notices

loud rattling noise from engine compartment

Old 05-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default loud rattling noise from engine compartment

I have a baja 272 with a bravo one and a 454 My gimbal bearing has been vibrating pretty bad for a while now when I would turn only. Yesterday was a little choppy out so while heading back to the dock I was cruising at 40 when all of a sudden I heard a loud rattling noise out of nowhere and I immediately slowed down and had to idle all the way back to the dock. My question is I got a feeling the gimbal bearing finally gave out? How bad does it get and I'm wondering if i messed anythign else up in there? The enigne only has about 50hrs on it and the only problem has that the gimbal bearing has been vibrating only when i would turn but I just didn't have the time to replace it so I guess im assuming it finally couldnt take it anymore. When I take the outdrive off should the gimbal bearing basically be loose or come out with the outdrive? i guess I just don't know what to expect
Old 05-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didnt have time to repair a problem that you knew existed ? You kept driving the boat knowing it was something major ? I dont mean to beat you with a lecture...but your lucky something major didnt happen while a good distance from land with your or somebody elses kids in the boat. Did you think it was gonna fix itself ? Find time to repair important problems. You had time to go out on it again...but not enough time to repair it ? I'm sorry to say this....BUT YOU DESERVE WHAT YOU GET SIR.

I hope it all works out for you.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

That sounds more like bad U joints than a gimbal bearing.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Registered

griff is right a couple years back i had the same problem and it was my ujoints
Old 05-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Registered

Tinman 565 next time don't bother posting anything like that if your going to act like a 10 year old, if you have nothing to post don't post anything at all. Kind of like the same thing that you if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all but appearantly you didnt learn that. These forums are for helping one another not being arrogant. When people post things on here is for help and suggestions not criticism, people like you shouldnt even have computers. I find it very disrespectful for people such as yourself. Things happen I'm pretty sure your not perfect either, so as far as for you tinman act your age not like an idiot behind the keyboard. I appreciate everyone else who responded saying it could be the u joints. Next weekend I will be taking the outdrive off so I guess to prepare myself when you mean bad ujoints are you saying the possibly cracked which is why its rattling so bad?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

When the motor was replaced 50 hours ago, how did the u-joints look? When you greased them was there any water or rust in them? How did they feel when you rotated them? I'm assuming the gimbal bearing was replaced at that time. Did the new engine get aligned when it was installed? By the symptoms you described it sounds more like u-joints to me. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
Tinman 565 next time don't bother posting anything like that if your going to act like a 10 year old, if you have nothing to post don't post anything at all. Kind of like the same thing that you if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all but appearantly you didnt learn that. These forums are for helping one another not being arrogant. When people post things on here is for help and suggestions not criticism, people like you shouldnt even have computers. I find it very disrespectful for people such as yourself. Things happen I'm pretty sure your not perfect either, so as far as for you tinman act your age not like an idiot behind the keyboard. I appreciate everyone else who responded saying it could be the u joints. Next weekend I will be taking the outdrive off so I guess to prepare myself when you mean bad ujoints are you saying the possibly cracked which is why its rattling so bad?
I see you've only gotten 30 posts. Tin Man actually was pretty easy on you. Spend a little time around here and you'll get the crap beaten out of you. There's a lot of tough guys behind those keyboards. Does sound like U joints. The bearings go bad and make noise for a while. It sounds like yours went to the point of the bearings falling out of the little "cup" thet they ride in. Lots of noise when that happens. you should be able to see it pretty easily. Check for water in the bellows make sure there isn't a reason that they went bad besides age.

Last edited by Sunshadow; 05-16-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Registered

They looked a little rusted but not too bad and as far as the gimbal bearing as long as i've had the boat i've never replaced it and Ive had the boat for about a year and a half now, its a 1996. I was told i was going to have to replace the u joints in the future but the mechanic at the marina didn't make it seem like it needed to be done soon. The engine was aligned. It defenitely is true about the whole behind the keyboard thing. Hopefully it is the ujoints so that way it's not that bad. When the u joints break do the break any other thins in the process in the outdrive?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Registered

lol....I'm the one acting like a 10 year old ? Lets see...you knew there was a problem with your boat...had no idea what it was...so you figure "screw it, I wanna have fun, no time for problems". I can hear your next statement..."I smell fuel really bad, but theres a poker run tomorrow so I'll worry about it later". Your the guy who ruins other peoples afternoons by needing a tow back in when you KNEW there was a problem to begin with. Everybody runs into problems now and then....but you KNEW it was coming, and chose to ignore it. Learn to listen to your boat...itll tell you when theres a problem brewing...then take care of it. Call me whatever you want...lol...your the perfect definition of an irresponsible boater. I see MANY more problems in your future sir. Enjoy your season.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your U-joints were rusty, they were rusty for a reason.... Water. There should not be water in there. I'd say you probably have a small leak in the bellow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.