MEFI help needed

Notices

MEFI help needed

Old 05-19-2010, 05:41 AM
VP
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MEFI help needed

I have a 2001 575SCi and did a total freshen this year. I also changed from the stock flat tappet hyd to a new hyd roller set up.

So now I am in need of some major tuning help.
I am looking to borrow, rent, or buy (if I have to) something to make a new tune change.

I also don't want to send my ECM out 15 times to get this right and risk melting valves again so I am going to install a wideband O2 sensor in the exhaust to do this with.

So having said that, I also have some question.

1. How do I tie in the O2 sensor to whatever system is recommended to do the tune with.

2. How do I also tie in manifold pressure

3. and RPM

4. how do I set the timing (in base mode).

5. what connectors / cables are needed

6. and is there a system that can do this....... for a reasonable cost ........ because this is a one time event (hopefully) for me.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You need Mefi Burn! Call and talk to Bob. He is a great guy and his software will do exactly what you are asking for. It will come with a data loging program and cable so you can watch all your engine parameters (MAP, RPM, Knock, Timing). You will need a separate hand held O2 meter like an innovate or fast unit. I have experienced the mail order tuning and it's a huge time sink and waste of dough, if you want it done right you will have to do it in the boat.

Good Luck,
Jon
Old 05-19-2010, 10:13 AM
VP
Registered

Thanks Jon,

What about the ingition timing piece ? do i need a Merc scanner or can this jumper A&B to get to Basic Timinig mode??

thanks again
Old 05-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Registered

jump A&B
Old 05-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I am not sure if the MefiBurn software will put it into base mode or not, it will allow you to read any trouble codes, if you have them. I had the merc plastic jumper cap, so I used that before I hooked up the software. All the cap does is jump A & B, a lot of people do that with a paper clip.

The software really is good, once you get a feel for it, you could get your boat dialed in a day. With out the software your hands are tied. It sucks getting your mefi fresh out of the mail box and within 5 min of hitting the lake put it back on the trailer because the tune is wrong.

Last edited by DesertRage; 05-19-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:57 PM
VP
Registered

Originally Posted by Griswald
jump A&B
paper clip....

got it ...

thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 PM
VP
Registered

Originally Posted by DesertRage
I am not sure if the MefiBurn software will put it into base mode or not, it will allow you to read any trouble codes, if you have them. I had the merc plastic jumper cap, so I used that before I hooked up the software. All the cap does is jump A & B, a lot of people do that with a paper clip.

The software really is good, once you get a feel for it, you could get your boat dialed in a day. With out the software your hands are tied. It sucks getting your mefi fresh out of the mail box and within 5 min of hitting the lake put it back on the trailer because the tune is wrong.

Ok --- Just talked to Bob at MEFIburn. He was tuning a boat as we spoke. Purchased the package plus an Innovate LM-2 Basic for O2. Bought the inductive pickup too for RPM.

Should be good to go soon.

thanks
VP
Old 05-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

VP, That rocks! You'll have fun tuning now.

You have all the tools to dial it right in and if you make additional engine mods, you can compensate for that with a few table edits.

The data logging program you will recieve will let you monitor and record TONS of engine parameters.

Glad it worked out for ya!

Jon