Question about cast iron exhaust and changing risers >

Question about cast iron exhaust and changing risers

Notices

Question about cast iron exhaust and changing risers

Old 05-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about cast iron exhaust and changing risers

Have a standard merc wet exhaust set up with cast iron manifolds and risers exiting through transom. Had a problem last year with gasket leak and am considering replacing cast iron riser with stainless riser, putting a block off plate between the manifold and gasket.

Is there a good place to go to get some information on the way to do this? Where should I look for the SS risers?

I am also looking at the revolution marine set up but am a little uneasy with the aluminum manifolds ability to stand up to salt water, any thoughts on this? Thanks,
Old 05-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i've always thought that the block off would let water sit in "bad places", so install the gaskets so the water can move through both manifold and riser....merc's manis have a little plastic butterfly at the bottom that makes it real easy to drain the manifolds after use....proper gasket set-up will let you drain the risers too...
Old 05-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Registered

i have a set of revolution marine exchaust on my small block and after im in salt water all day i flush the motor with fresh water at home with a 55 gallon drum cut in half let the motor run for 15 to 20 minutes shut off then just undo your drain plugs on the exchaust and drain the water out and you will be fine
Old 05-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Registered

Thanks. I am seriously considering going to the rev marine set up. My boat is in the water for a good part of the summer, its old and tired so its okay... If I go the rev marine set up I would also have to install a fresh water flush on my system.

My risers and exhaust are low hours and in good condition. Just not sure that It trust those four crappy gaskets to not let me down, again.