Notices

600sci stage 2 probs

Old 05-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600sci stage 2 probs

Hi guys,
We have a fountain 42 pr with a pair of 600sci's. I
fitted whipple stage 2 kit comprising of flashed ecu, smaller charger pulley, water re-route to intercooler and whipple's billet spark arrestors. Ran them on the hose and stbd was showing..boost diag ckt high. changed map sensor and all was fine. Took boat out today and all good upto 5200 rpm then warning light and buzzer started which was 5 long beeps every minute or so. Next we turned power off and on then got to 5000rpm and 4 beeps with smartcraft saying.. engine in guardian mode! but we had no loss off rpm or power and all temps, pressures etc perfectly normal so turned batterys off and on again, get to 5200rpm and alarm saying.. charge air temp high! power off and on again, next time its saying.. excessive knock!!! Anybody know whats going on?
Old 05-27-2010, 05:32 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a nearly identical thing happen with my 600's on the way to Key West 2 years ago. Smarcraft was telling me knock sensor and map sensor and beeping. screwed around with it for a while then after about 30 minutes I shut it down and started it up and NEVER happened again. Crazy
Old 05-28-2010, 04:31 AM
Registered

Gonna run it again today and see what happens
Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Registered

you might want to consider that the system is actually telling you the truth. the first thing that happens w/ elevated combustion chamber temps is detonation which then leads very quickly to failure. that is exactly what the codes are telling you is happening... you have changed everything you could possibly change and introduced about 50 new critical variables. why would you expect it to be spot on out of the box ?

what makes you think the warnings aren't true ? their job is to warn you before it fails... and they are.

Last edited by stevesxm; 05-28-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Any other experiences with this on 600's ?

Mine has thrown the excessive knock warning 2X while coming on plane, then fine after that.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Dave,

You may want to back flush your intercoolers and oil coolers. Same thing happened to me even before I put on my Whipple kit. Now that you're producing more boost any blockage or inefficiency in your intercooler will now manifest itself.

DC
Old 05-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
you might want to consider that the system is actually telling you the truth. the first thing that happens w/ elevated combustion chamber temps is detonation which then leads very quickly to failure. that is exactly what the codes are telling you is happening... you have changed everything you could possibly change and introduced about 50 new critical variables. why would you expect it to be spot on out of the box ?

what makes you think the warnings aren't true ? their job is to warn you before it fails... and they are.
The fact that smartcraft said engines were in guardian mode and they weren't makes me think its false codes. Ran it today for 90 mins but only upto 5200rpm and all was fine, will give it some proper hammer on mon and see what happens
Old 05-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem I had with mine at stage II configuration was low water pressure issues. There is a table in the PCM that requires a certain psi for water per given rpm, and I could accelerate the motor faster than the water pressure could come up. Dustin had a fix for this... I would give him a call with any problems.

Chris