Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best starter for a slightly modified 454? >

Best starter for a slightly modified 454?

Notices

Best starter for a slightly modified 454?

Old 05-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best starter for a slightly modified 454?

I recently put a newly built Gen IV 454 in my boat. Since the install, I've gone through four of the cheap gear reduction starters ($75-$100). They seem to be failing internally. My engine has 10:1 compression, with about 460HP. I would think that would not be too bad, but who knows? When the starters are new, the boat fires right up, but after about 20 or so starts, they start grinding, but not engaging the flywheel. Any ideas on a starter that can handle the workload?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Registered

I've built a couple motors '94 gen IV's and I still use the stock starters! Are you using the original flywheels? I would really check on the alignment of the starter - flywheel. My c-r ratio is a little more than yours and have been using the stock starters for 3 years now. Good Luck
Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Registered

i am using the ati gear reductin starters from cp performance.
I bought mine in sept. of 2009 and just cooked one this weekend at the dock. stripped the nylon gear inside. but two weeks ago I was cranking for a long time due to flooding issues I have corrected. they have worked flawless before now. I ussually pay about $160.00 for mine. Where are you getting them for 75-100?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my boat for 20 years now and still have the same stock starter on it. It's been on probably 5 engines now. Is there some reason you need to use the mini starters like oil pan clearence? Harden Marine does have a nice one that's all ball bearing but their like $280. It's the chrome one they have.

amazing1, here is a place you can get the cheaper ones at.http://www.db-starter-alternator.com...eral%20Motors/

Last edited by picklenjim; 05-31-2010 at 07:46 PM.