How bad does your boat leak? >

How bad does your boat leak?

Notices

How bad does your boat leak?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad does your boat leak?

I recently upgraded to a Fountain and Ive found several leaks. A cuople around cleats at the waterline, one at trim indicator cable and one at the transom. All amounting to a gallon or so of water after 4 hours on the water. I was suprised to hear from others they typically have water in the boat.
Im going to try to fix the leaks that I can, but how big a deal is this? Im concered about rot. These boats have alot of wood in them dont they?
Old 05-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Registered

How new? Mine is a 95
Old 05-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I don't want ANY water in my bilge. I spent an entire year plus chasing water in the bilge only to ultimately figure out that it was the damn toilet leaking.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

i found mine was taking on water at the drain plug. when i would leave in water over night, i would pump out couple gals in the morning. i will probably now need a new transom but will cross that bridge when i get to that point in my restoration.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:06 PM
Registered

I think the biggest problem with Fountain's leaking is the transom rub rail. They squat anyway in the water and if you beach or load the boat up with people on the back you will find that it doesn't take much to get in trouble.

Mine also leaked around the drain plug holes. They came loose from using it so much.

The rub rails on Fountains are glassed all the way around except the azz end cause you can't get in there to finish it. Pull the the rail off and seal it up good including the screw holes.

Westcoast did mine and the water is almost completely gone.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Registered

Damn, I never thought about the rub rail in the back I need to take a closer look
Old 05-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Registered

Whoops!! I meant to say the hull to deck joint is glassed all the way around except the transom where you can't get to it. If you pull the rail and vinyl strips off you will be disappointed in the lack of workmanship in that particular area.

I was.

There was a real nice 42 that sank in front of the condos in the channel this year at Havasu. I wondered if that rub rail was leaking. It was driven up on the beach with the azz end down in the water all night probably...

The bilge pumps will cycle and eventually kill the battery. Only a matter of time after that.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:42 PM
Registered

The other thing I've noticed is that if my boat is a drift with the azz end facing larger waves and wake from other boats, the blower exit holes take on some water when it dips down in the trough of the wave and then stays trapped when the back of the boat raises on the wave.

Finally, that water makes its way right past the blowers and into the bilge as the nose of the boat lowers on the next wave...

I know, I've put too much into this!!

But you'll see why the blowers won't make it one season in salt..
Old 06-01-2010, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after replacing my outer shift cable/boot I have no leaks....well at this point anyway !
Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SDFever
I think the biggest problem with Fountain's leaking is the transom rub rail.
The rub rails on Fountains are glassed all the way around except the azz end cause you can't get in there to finish it. Pull the the rail off and seal it up good including the screw holes.

Westcoast did mine and the water is almost completely gone.
I resealed my 32 approx 6 yrs ago and it has never had a single drop of water in the bilge since. Before then, the pump would kick on once or so an hr. Never had any water make it's way up through the rear blower vents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.