292 Fastech fuel pickup issue

Notices
Formula

292 Fastech fuel pickup issue

Old 05-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 292 Fastech fuel pickup issue

I am not getting any fuel for the starboard engine even though the tank is 1/4 (shows 1/2 when at a standstill) full. The port engine runs perfect. I ended up using a portable tank for the starboard engine to get home to the marina.

I seem to remember having read about issues with the fuel pickup in the tank of the 292 Fastech, but I can't find the thread about this.

Anybody that has a link to the thread, or knows if there is a problem with the fuel pickup of the 292 Fastech ?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I just replaced both of the fuel pickups in my 2006 292 due to that very problem. The standard pickups have a plastic tube pressed onto a barb fitting on a 90 degree NPT fitting. Over time the plastic swells a bit (probably due to ethanol in gas today) and you lose the seal at the fitting. When you are running lower fuel levels in the tank, the air leaking in causes the fuel pump to lose prime and it quits drawing fuel from the tank.

This happened the second year I owned the boat and Formula sent me new pickups, but they had the same plastic dip tubes. I was told they were improved. Same problem occured when I de-winterized the boat this spring. Finally called the fuel tank manufacturer (Florida Marine Tanks) who also supplies the pickups to Formula. Had them make me a new set with welded stainless steel dip tubes. I think it was only around $60 for both. Problem solved. Not sure why those aren't standard for Formula?..

They are also easy to swap. Just remove the center panel under the rear seat and you get complete access to the pickups.

Last edited by 4mulafastech; 05-31-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gauge of my 271 is very inaccurate. Quarter is really empty. I never let it get below half. Jeff Wurl
Old 06-01-2010, 03:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jwurl
The gauge of my 271 is very inaccurate. Quarter is really empty. I never let it get below half. Jeff Wurl
I do know what you mean.

But I am using a Northstar GPS with fuel management so I know I have a 1/4 tank, the happy fuel gauge shows more than 1/2. Normally I run with nearly a full tank of gas, but in this case I was at a lower level, but definitely not on fumes.

As I sad no problems with the port engine.

Last edited by Phazar454Mag; 06-01-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
I just replaced both of the fuel pickups in my 2006 292 due to that very problem. The standard pickups have a plastic tube pressed onto a barb fitting on a 90 degree NPT fitting. Over time the plastic swells a bit (probably due to ethanol in gas today) and you lose the seal at the fitting. When you are running lower fuel levels in the tank, the air leaking in causes the fuel pump to lose prime and it quits drawing fuel from the tank.

This happened the second year I owned the boat and Formula sent me new pickups, but they had the same plastic dip tubes. I was told they were improved. Same problem occured when I de-winterized the boat this spring. Finally called the fuel tank manufacturer (Florida Marine Tanks) who also supplies the pickups to Formula. Had them make me a new set with welded stainless steel dip tubes. I think it was only around $60 for both. Problem solved. Not sure why those aren't standard for Formula?..

They are also easy to swap. Just remove the center panel under the rear seat and you get complete access to the pickups.
Thanks a lot for your answer.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also had the same problem on my '06 292.............stbd engine stopped running and port ran fine. Replaced the pickups with ones from Formula but I was also sceptical that they'd last because they looked identical to the ones that came out. I saved the 90 degree fittings from the old ones so I could weld some stainless tubes to them like 4mulafastech described. On mine the high pressure pump in the cool fuel module on that engine was also toast.............probably because it was running for awhile with aerated fuel from the bad pick ups and the pump dieing is what shut the engine off.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar problem with my 271. I had the brass tube brazed onto the 90 degree fitting. Cracked the weld at the top in some rough water. I shortened the tube a hair and re-brazed teh fitting. No problems since.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Registered

Turned out my problem was in the fuel filter I have in front of the fuel sensor for the starboard engine for the fuel management option for the Northstar GPS. The fuel filter is of the type that can be disassembled and the actual filter inside can be replaced. Somehow the filter had become loose so the engine was sucking air instead of fuel.

I was out boating today and it worked perfectly, so no problems with the tank for now (I hope it stays that way), even though it does concern me that some owners have had problems with the fuel pickup.