Seawater Pump Belt Problem >

Seawater Pump Belt Problem

Notices

Seawater Pump Belt Problem

Old 05-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seawater Pump Belt Problem

Took the new 489 out for its maiden voyage today...noticed the engine temp climbing past 180 quickly turned back to the dock before it got much past 200. Seawater belt is loose as hell...problem is there is no more room to adjust the pump, as it is already resting up against the block that motor mount rests on, so no way to tighten the belt. Anyone run into this before. It was tight enough last year. I hope they make a smaller belt, that is the only solution I can think of. Any thoughts? Engine is in the same spot as it was last year!!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Registered

Either the tensioner fell off (if equipped) or the belt is too long.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
I would be worried more about the much past 200. That is smoking hot for a boat engine .
It was only past 200 for about 10 sec then I shut it down at the dock. I am aware that is hot for boat engine, that is why i turned around headed back to the dock. Someone who doesn't know what they are doing would have just taken off and blown their new engine.

Cars run beyond 200 all the time so I don't think running for 10 sec at 200-210 ruined anything.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to get a belt for it. I had a simular problem with mine only I needed a longer belt. I had put on a new oil pan and the pump hit against it. Had to go 1/2 inch longer. Orielly Auto parts has Gates XL's in 1/2 inch increments.