adding batteries >

adding batteries

Notices

adding batteries

Old 06-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding batteries

I currently have a Slingshot with 2 batteries and 2 shut off switches. I would like to add 2 deep cycle batteries to run the stereo while on the hook, does anyone have any advice on wiring them up. I would like to keep them separate from my starting batteries by using the shut off switches (1-2or all) and be able to charge off the engine alternator and on board charger. Can I get by with just the 2 shut off switches or do I have to add another switch. I don't mind if I have to flip the shut off switch.

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 946 Likes on 475 Posts

Theres a few different ways you could go about this....i think the easiest way would be to get a battery isolator and wire it up on one motor. Keep the switches as they are and wire the two additional batteries in parralell for extra capacity. The batteries would charge when the motors running but you wouldnt have access to them if the main starting batteries die.
Now you could get more complicated with adding another switch if you wanted to be able to use them for starting...but then i would probably need to draw something up to look at, as explaining it would get confusing

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just added another battery to the port motor cranking battery,if it were to run down I still can crank it with the star motor per the battery switch. Its been like this for 4 years and the C Charles battery charger is keeping them up, If I were to ad a 3rd,Id have to mount it above one of the others

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Rob, thats how we did it.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Registered

I would like to have 2 batteries in parallel for the stereo. wiring them up to the charger is not a problem but I would like to be able to charge off the engines and wondered how to wire up to the disconnect switch.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Registered

I'm Looking for 2 Gil battery mounts to match the OE gray ones, 24 series.
Thanks Steve
Old 06-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not to hijack but this thread is headed in my direction. My '02 has Optima Blue tops, one for each side. I was out this weekend and sat for about 1-2hrs with the stereo on normal volume and left my switches on both as I didn't think this could possibly cause a problem...it did. Both batteries were down to about 8 volts and I couldnt' crank either motor. Does sound normal? I do have an upgraded stereo with two Memphis amps, don't know the exact wattage but probably around 400 each. I usually know better than to leave on both but like I said, I didn't think an hour or so would hurt antything. My initial thought is to add a deep cycle in parallel with the port battery. Thoughts???
Old 06-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lake Rat
Not to hijack but this thread is headed in my direction. My '02 has Optima Blue tops, one for each side. I was out this weekend and sat for about 1-2hrs with the stereo on normal volume and left my switches on both as I didn't think this could possibly cause a problem...it did. Both batteries were down to about 8 volts and I couldnt' crank either motor. Does sound normal? I do have an upgraded stereo with two Memphis amps, don't know the exact wattage but probably around 400 each. I usually know better than to leave on both but like I said, I didn't think an hour or so would hurt antything. My initial thought is to add a deep cycle in parallel with the port battery. Thoughts???
How old are your batteries? I wouldn't think that you'd have a problem after an hour or two, even running a fridge and whatnot.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
How old are your batteries? I wouldn't think that you'd have a problem after an hour or two, even running a fridge and whatnot.
My Starboard battery was replaced last Oct. The Port tested fine at that time. I need to test the port battery again. I'm with you, I would think it should be fine for several hours with just the radio on moderate volume.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Registered

Optima batteries are junk. I do lots of boat installs in my area and everyone that brings in the Optima's come back later for something different. There's a guy with a Supra wakeboat similar to mine that has 7 yellow tops, and still can't play the stereo all day long, and he's only got 5 JL amps....

I use Stinger batteries in my installs. In the new 39' Rockit I just worked on, I added 1 Stinger SPP2150 to power the stereo. I used a 150A relay that only connects the stereo batteries to the starting batteries when the owner flips a switch. The relay is supposed to be wired to the ignition switch, but I do it a little different. This way, the owner can start the boat, have it idling, then open the circuit so the stereo is connected to the motors. The motors won't charge the batteries, just maintain them at the voltage they're at. Alternators aren't chargers.

Reserve time is not a problem with these batteries if they're maintained right, and you don't need 2 unless the stereo is huge., after all that does make a difference.

Check out www.stingerelectronics.com and check out the Pro series batteries. Note the prices, and PM me if interested. I sell them considerably cheaper than the retail price listed on the site.

Last edited by jonyb; 06-23-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.