454 carb to fuel injection >

454 carb to fuel injection

Notices

454 carb to fuel injection

Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 carb to fuel injection

I am thinking about converting my twin 454's to fuel injection! Has anyone out there done this? Advantages and/or disadvantages? Has anyone out there put blowers on there motors and have the fuel injection they removed?

Any help or comments are appreciated!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Registered

dont touch old EFI . I'm talking from experience.It requires expensive diagnostic equipment to trouble shoot and will cost you way more than any fuel you may save.Also parts are really expensive.Just overhauling the injectors will set you back about $ 50 each. Horse power gains will be minimal as well.There are very few advantages to EFI in a boat
Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The first question would be, what do you expect to gain by going efi????? IMO, if its not broke, don't try and fix it.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:28 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, spend your money on making a few more Hp's or spend some money on something to make sure they last longer. All adding EFI to a pair of reliable engines will do is make your life more complicated.

Good luck though.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I looked long and hard into converting my 522 Gen V from carb to EFI. I've done one before on a car and I loved it. On a boat is a lot tougher, to do it right you need to use wide band O2 sensors which require special manifolds/headers. Then there's the issue of the fuel pump, most electrics need to be below the tank to get a proper siphon. My buddy at Kinsler recommended a Welborn which was real pricey. I found a mechanical that will work with fuel injection from Stewart, but I have a GM Gen V block with no fuel pump mount. Secondly a carb will make more power due to the cooling effect the fuel has on the intake charge. After vetting all the different EFI systems out there, I even thought of building my own, I decided that when I make the change I will go with a Pro-Systems SV1 carb. It's design will give me a smoother idle with my cam, better throttle response and best of all the most power. Google it, I think you may find it a better choice also.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep it carbed. If for some reason it is not running properly, have some WHO knows what they are doing with CARBS. I have seen more improperly running/idling boats becuase some jamoke started turning carb screws back and forth.

EFI is nice, but it has to be the right EFI system. For example, my tow rig is a 1989 Dually with a 454. It has the TBI gm fuel injection, which they had just came out with at that time to replace the carb. Well imo, the entire setup sucks, and i may just install a trusty old GM quadrajet carb. I would bet money the carb will get just as good if not better mpg, more power, and easier to adjust.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Keep it carbed. If for some reason it is not running properly, have some WHO knows what they are doing with CARBS. I have seen more improperly running/idling boats becuase some jamoke started turning carb screws back and forth.

EFI is nice, but it has to be the right EFI system. For example, my tow rig is a 1989 Dually with a 454. It has the TBI gm fuel injection, which they had just came out with at that time to replace the carb. Well imo, the entire setup sucks, and i may just install a trusty old GM quadrajet carb. I would bet money the carb will get just as good if not better mpg, more power, and easier to adjust.

I love this word. Never heard this before. Going to borrow it a little

Is there a formal definition?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
I love this word. Never heard this before. Going to borrow it a little

Is there a formal definition?
Lol, heres some definintions from the urban dictionary of a "jamoke"

A derogatory term used to describe a lazy assed, good-for-nothing, spoon

A clumsy loser who is incapable of doing normal human tasks.

ineffectual and unaware of it.

•A fool, moron, or otherwise ignorant person. A person pretending to be streetsmart, but lacking it entirely. Often used to refer to a person who makes a fool of themselves while trying to impress others.

Keep in mind Jeff, i grew up in a mainly italian and irish neighborhood of Chicago. I got lots of urban slang in my vocabulary....majority is pretty derogatory...lol

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 01-18-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Lol, heres some definintions from the urban dictionary of a "jamoke"

A derogatory term used to describe a lazy assed, good-for-nothing, spoon

A clumsy loser who is incapable of doing normal human tasks.

ineffectual and unaware of it.

•A fool, moron, or otherwise ignorant person. A person pretending to be streetsmart, but lacking it entirely. Often used to refer to a person who makes a fool of themselves while trying to impress others.

Keep in mind Jeff, i grew up in a mainly italian and irish neighborhood of Chicago. I got lots of urban slang in my vocabulary....majority is pretty derogatory...lol
****in awesome You need to start a new thread so the rest of us can learn
Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Registered

I am considering this system fr my twinn 454 Gen IV, I like the idea of being "plug-n-play" and self tuning.

http://www.mass-floefi.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.