Intermitent whine around 3000 rpm >

Intermitent whine around 3000 rpm

Notices

Intermitent whine around 3000 rpm

Old 06-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermitent whine around 3000 rpm

I have a 27' Baja with a 454 mag and bravo 1. Last year I touched a rock in bad weather while idling through a hazardous area, chipping the skeg and nicking 2 or the 3 blades on the mirage plus prop. I had the drive and prop serviced and everything checked out OK. However, shortly after that a mid to high pitch whine has developed and occuring from what I believe is the drive when bringing the boat on plane and run it around 2800 - 3000 rpm. This noise used to stop once I trimmed the drive out after coming on plane, but now persists at this rpm. When I increase the rpm it stops. The drive oil is clean, no signs of a burnt bearing, and there was no metal in the drive oil when it was changed, so I don't think it's a worn gear. I had the gimbal bearing changed and coupler checked last year but the noise persisted. The drive is a 2005 model year bravo 1 with about 250 hours. Anyone else experienced this or have any idea what it might be?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

g..
i know it sounds wierd (no pun intended) but if the bearing in the circulating pump starts to fail, it can make those odd whining noises...but it would be coming from under the hatch, not the drive.....

is your thrust washer installed and in good condition?

c
Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

I think your blower kicks in around 3000 rpm !!!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only wish it was the sound of blowers kicking in on a pair of 700s. Maybe when I win the lottery.

However it's possible it could be from the engine because I haven't been able to stick my head in there when it was running at speed, but the water pump is also new. I associated the noise to the drive because of my mishap and the fact it initially stopped with triming out. The thrust washer appears good, but there is some play between the prop's flo torque sleeve and splined hub. I will replace the sleeve next weekend and see if this helps. Thank you.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

bearing IN the drive? get it checked by opening it! cheaper than breaking it ...