1.8 Rockers in a 454 merc. >

1.8 Rockers in a 454 merc.

Notices

1.8 Rockers in a 454 merc.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8 Rockers in a 454 merc.

Looking for anyone that has done this before.
I'm thinking about putting in 1.8 ratio roller rockers in my 98 Crownline 202 that is stock with the exception of captains call Exhaust.

Will it make it sound better? Will they fit under the original valve covers? any thing I need change to make them work?
Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Registered

I put a set of 1.8 rockers on a 454/385 motor a few year ago with no problem. They will fit under the OE valve covers, no problem. Putting 1.8 rockers on will act like a larger cam shaft. I did not notice any sound different, but the motor did pull harder in the mid range.

I also have a good used of 1.8 ratio rackers for sale if you are interested.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HighPriority
I put a set of 1.8 rockers on a 454/385 motor a few year ago with no problem. They will fit under the OE valve covers, no problem. Putting 1.8 rockers on will act like a larger cam shaft. I did not notice any sound different, but the motor did pull harder in the mid range.

I also have a good used of 1.8 ratio rackers for sale if you are interested.
Yea shot me a price and pics!!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Registered

I just took a set of roller 1.8 off my 454 because I actually encountered some problems with them. I dont have the hipo heads that actually have a larger pushrod hole in them and the 1.8 changed the geometry just enough to contribute to a pushrod failure. We assembled the whole assembly and measured it at the machine shop and I decided to go back to 1.7, which did noticeably straighten it back out. I think using a stock pushrod was more of the problem than the rockers, but if you run them, just watch your geometry.

Plenty of people run them with no problems, but since you asked...LOL
Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FlyinZX14
I just took a set of roller 1.8 off my 454 because I actually encountered some problems with them. I dont have the hipo heads that actually have a larger pushrod hole in them and the 1.8 changed the geometry just enough to contribute to a pushrod failure. We assembled the whole assembly and measured it at the machine shop and I decided to go back to 1.7, which did noticeably straighten it back out. I think using a stock pushrod was more of the problem than the rockers, but if you run them, just watch your geometry.

Plenty of people run them with no problems, but since you asked...LOL
Did you notice and power/sound upgrades with the bigger rockers?
Thanks for the info!!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Stay with the 1.7's, if you want it to run better get a performance cam. Then that gets into a hole can of worms and thousands of dollars.