HP nearly stalls when throttled back to idle >

HP nearly stalls when throttled back to idle

Notices

HP nearly stalls when throttled back to idle

Old 06-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP nearly stalls when throttled back to idle

Running at 3800, the starboard engine slowly quits. Fuel pump failure. Well the ethanol fuel finally got to one of my fuel pumps (mechanical pump on the sea water pump) - starboard side. Replaced both of them and them fired 'em back up and set at 1500 rpm to look for leaks. No leaks! Idled the engines back to idle and no problem on one engine while the other engine cut out about half the cylinders and and then stalled. Re-started this engine and ran up to 1500 RPM. o problems restarting. As the RPM's are reduced down to the idle speed as soon as the tach hits 800 RPM, some of the cylinders quit firing. Giving it more gas does nothing. Shutting it off and restarting refires all the cylinders, it's fine until idled back down to 800 RPM then cylinders cut out again and have to restart to get all of the cylinders to fire

I'm guessing the fuel pumps have nothing to do with it and either the tach is bad, ignition module went bad or somehow I bumped a ground wire loose while working on the fuel pumps.

Anyone had this problem?

BTW - for those who boat at Cumberland, State Dock now has zero ethanol fuel - it's 89 Octane with the darker yellow label.

LP
Old 06-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by LPBoater
Running at 3800, the starboard engine slowly quits. Fuel pump failure. Well the ethanol fuel finally got to one of my fuel pumps (mechanical pump on the sea water pump) - starboard side. Replaced both of them and them fired 'em back up and set at 1500 rpm to look for leaks. No leaks! Idled the engines back to idle and no problem on one engine while the other engine cut out about half the cylinders and and then stalled. Re-started this engine and ran up to 1500 RPM. o problems restarting. As the RPM's are reduced down to the idle speed as soon as the tach hits 800 RPM, some of the cylinders quit firing. Giving it more gas does nothing. Shutting it off and restarting refires all the cylinders, it's fine until idled back down to 800 RPM then cylinders cut out again and have to restart to get all of the cylinders to fire

I'm guessing the fuel pumps have nothing to do with it and either the tach is bad, ignition module went bad or somehow I bumped a ground wire loose while working on the fuel pumps.

Anyone had this problem?

BTW - for those who boat at Cumberland, State Dock now has zero ethanol fuel - it's 89 Octane with the darker yellow label.

LP
after the engine stunble's and dies pull your sparkplugs. i suspect your getting water in your cylinders from may be a bad or starting to go header leak..had a boat a few weeks ago do the same thing,,didnt want to idle under 800 rpms and their was water in the cylinders..