heads? cam? small block stroker build >

heads? cam? small block stroker build

Notices

heads? cam? small block stroker build

Old 06-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heads? cam? small block stroker build

Building a 409 SBC forged stroker motor. What heads and cam should go on something like this. Want to run pump gas.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zerotosixzero
Building a 409 SBC forged stroker motor. What heads and cam should go on something like this. Want to run pump gas.
what kind of boat and propulsion?

what are you looking to get out of it?

Uncle Dave
Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Registered

Thumbs down

25 baja force. it has an alpha one on it for now. would like to get 60 out of the boat, got 48 with a gps with the stock merc 260. was leaning to a big block, but i have most the parts for a small block.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For iron heads it is tough to beat ported DART Iron eagles

Cam i couldn't tell ya. Depends on exhaust.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Registered

My honest recommendation is to leave that boat alone, maybe change props and tune it up.

IF you really decide souping it up is for you whats your budget?

Can you do the work or will someone else do it?

Dave
Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Registered

Well I would be doing most of the work myself. Blew the motor up
last year. So I need to do something with it. Boat has fresh paint. took the big ugly rails off the bow and am building a new swim platform so it looks nice. I just want to go a little faster for now untill I can afford something newer. I have very little money into the boat. Hull is in excellent shape
Old 06-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Registered

And my budget is between 3-5 grand. Like I said I have most of the parts for another small block and would make the install easier.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Registered

And my budget is between 3-5 grand. Like I said I have most of the parts for another small block and would make the install easier.
Do you have a list of things in mind written down?

What do you mean blew it up? Can it be salvaged? if so o it as cheap as possible. You are going to need all the marine parts from it for sure or youll run out of money rebuying it all.

Figure out what it costs to do the shortblock est 1K
Cheap stock 2 bolt with hyper pistons are fine for the level of power you'll have. youll blow your drive before the short block goes.

Use great caution in cam selection est +500

Get an el cheapo- top end "combo" from anyone edelbrock etc, with aluminum heads/intake/ carb basically ( I have my favs but we can talk later) est 2K

Get a performance marine manifold and junk the crap your rig came with, unless it came with aftermarket stuff. est 1.5K (skip this and youll never make any power this is very important)

Do all this right and youll pick up around 100 HP or about 5 solid miles an hour from where it was when it was fresh

Of course there is a lot more to it, but thats the "recipe" Id use on that boat with that amount of dough

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 06-11-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

I'm running the edelbrock performer rpm heads on my donzi (355 cid)..
2.02 angle plugs 210 cc intake runners with some port work done,70 cc combustion chambers,my block is zero decked,I'm running fat top srp pistons with plasma Molly file fit rings,I'm running 6'' h beam rods and a forged 3.48 light weight crankshaft. i run a edelbrock air gap intake with some port work,a 750 pro form carburetor,camshaft is a comp cams xm270h flat tappet cam..
you could try calling bob mandara for one of his custom grind cams also,allot of people on the board here like his cams 585-654-8583..

i run 93 octane and with the timing @ 34*,,ten years and never had any issues..

if you have a factory gm 4.125 block make sure you drill the steam ports in the heads between the cyliders or your going to have some troubles..
Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Registered

Madera has an awesome reputation.
Teagues good at picking cams.

All the big guys will help you out if you get the right guy.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 06-11-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling, additional info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.