Oil T-stat selection and plumbing >

Oil T-stat selection and plumbing

Notices

Oil T-stat selection and plumbing

Old 06-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil T-stat selection and plumbing

My stroker 496 is almost put together and I'm now contemplating how to hook up my oil lines. I have a 3x18 oil cooler and now thinking to get an oil t-stat. I'm looking at the perma-cool and this Hardin Xtreme Thermostatic Oil Filter. The perma-cool would be new for around $40 and the Hardin is used for $160 to my door. The price difference is big but is the hardin worth it? KE guy says the hardin starts to open at 195 and fully open at 220. Perma opens at 190 I believe. Which one? Opinions needed

I would also like to plumb the filter after the cooler. Any thoughts on this set up?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramos45
My stroker 496 is almost put together and I'm now contemplating how to hook up my oil lines. I have a 3x18 oil cooler and now thinking to get an oil t-stat. I'm looking at the perma-cool and this Hardin Xtreme Thermostatic Oil Filter. The perma-cool would be new for around $40 and the Hardin is used for $160 to my door. The price difference is big but is the hardin worth it? KE guy says the hardin starts to open at 195 and fully open at 220. Perma opens at 190 I believe. Which one? Opinions needed

I would also like to plumb the filter after the cooler. Any thoughts on this set up?
The smartes thing to do is buy the cooler with the built in T stat. You think you are saving money, but the extra lines and AN fittings will cost you. ANd there is less parts.

Just my .02 from jacking with these things.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Registered

I've been told the hot oil filters easier than the cooler oil and it's best to filter before cooling.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I run from the engine to the filter to the cooler and back into the engine. THe T stat takes care of itself when it is built into the cooler.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Registered

Jeff,

I've been Frankensteining this motor together for a few months now and my cooler was an upgrade from the stock 330hp. At this point I'm just looking for an oil t-stat as a whole new set up is not in the budget. Canton might be a way to go also.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Registered

My motor will around 550hp when complete. I will be using the 5/8 stock oil lines and stock merc oil relocator. Should the permacool suffice or should I get the Hardin or Canton?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

You might not even need it. Run it and see what the oil temp guage shows compared to the water temp guage. If the oil is getting hot enough compared to the water staying cool enough, then run without one and buy some more gas.

The way you are doing it, you should be able to add the t stat after instalation.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like these Mocal units;
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...Sandwich_Plate
If you can get to the oil filter this is the way to go. You really cut down on the number of fittings and feet of line to plumb it. Using the plate adapter with T-stat i have a total of 4 fittings, two on plate and two on cooler and only 30 inches total hose run. Very clean and simple IF you can get by without the remote oil filter.