water in oil 454 >

water in oil 454

Notices

water in oil 454

Old 06-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in oil 454

Iam new here. Looking for some help. 454 with water in oil. chocolate milk looking. I did have a shop look at this. Was told head gasket. I had him replace. thinking,,because dip stick is gaining Still water getting in oil. After he changed head gasket I noticed water in power steering also. The person took out oil/ power steering cooler and pressured tested. 100lbs both coils held with no bubbles under water tested twiced. Oil pressure and power steering pressure is greater then water pressure against these, is that true? Could water get in through this cooler with oil and steering fluid having more pressure then water. Is it possiable that this cooler could be shot even though it tests good. I would have to guess that after head gasket was changed but still water getting in oil that it would be a cracked block, However that water in power steering fluild really throws me for a twist.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Registered

Do you have external hydraulic steering?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Registered

Could be a cracked head or block. Maybe even a cracked oil cooler.

What is your motor/drive/steering combo? What boat?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Registered

I have two hoses coming out of power steering pump. 1 to goes pump clylinder located on back of engine compartment 1 goes to steering cooler. And then a 3rd from pump clylinder to power steeing cooler. 1 pump steers both drives. to me I dont believe the power steering fluid passes by any water ( other then the cooler} 32' 1989 regal comadore twin 454.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Registered

bravo drives
Old 06-17-2010, 04:54 AM
Registered

Pressure test the block.

Easiest way is pinch off the hoses going to the exhaust, then run the garden hose to the hose after the sea-water pump or if you want to take the oil cooler out of the loop go to where the sea-water hose goes on the thermostat housing. I use a ball valve I adapted to fit a garden hose on one end and the 1 1/4" hose from the seawater pump/thermostat housing on the other.

It works best if you have a water pressure gauge, crack the valve until you see about 20 psi on the gauge, and then see if it holds or it drops. Chances are if its a crack somewhere, you'll hear it and can begin narrowing down where its cracked and the water pressure will fall off.

Most residential water pressure is around 40-45 psi, pretty high so that's the reason I use the valve/pressure gauge.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the block is cracked in the lifter galley
Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have an integrated oil/ps cooler I would suspect that. Many times you will crack a weld that will only leak at a certain temp. As for the pressures, all pressures are equal with the engine shut down so water will seep in to wherever it can. You can either find a radiator shop that will pressure check it hot or replace it and see what happens. I just find it veru difficult to believe you have a cracked block and a cracked PS cooler, because that is the only water/PS interface.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted G
I just find it veru difficult to believe you have a cracked block and a cracked PS cooler, because that is the only water/PS interface.
Not to disagree Ted, but I disagree

If the block was cracked by freezing, then there's a good chance the cooler cracked by freezing also. If the block wasn't drained correctly or completely, it's not implausible the cooler also wasn't drained correctly or completely.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Registered

this is great site and greatfull for any and all info. I took the ps oil combo cooler out of picture. the engine still sounds great I will get this out on the bay friday and see how she runs. cracked block? cant hurt anything right? Ted.. you know i also cant see how water can get into both the oil and power steering without this cooler being shot, sounds easy but with my luck it just cant be that easy. So I disconnect the oil hoses to cooler and reconnected the 1 hose from cooler to engine block. Left power steering lines disconnected and removed the power steering belt. Friday no power steering for me but hey should the dipstick stay on full ......maybe I will be lucky, doubtfull but.... I just cant see how the water could get in both if that damm cooller is not shotometimes boating problems just suck but summer and thongs on the women just seem to make things worth it. Any other thoughts would be helpfull and Iam greatfull for anyones help...