Reverse Rotation Engine >

Reverse Rotation Engine

Notices

Reverse Rotation Engine

Old 06-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Rotation Engine

I have a question regarding Reverse Rotation engines. If the engine is turning the opposite way, does that affect the oil pump and or plumbing as opposed to a standard rotating engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Instead of a timing chain, the cam and crank are ran gear to gear. And on the engine that I did the sea pump the IN was the OUT. (switched)
Old 06-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aviatorg3
I have a question regarding Reverse Rotation engines. If the engine is turning the opposite way, does that affect the oil pump and or plumbing as opposed to a standard rotating engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
No affect on the oil pump. Camshaft turns the same direction in both engines. Therefore the distributor which drives the oil pump also turns the same direction. Firing order is reversed via plug wire location on the cap.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats not true anymore as on big blocks they do not reverse them that way...they run a special cam with a reverse cut dist gears and only turn the dist the correct way to run the oil pump, retaining the factory timing chain setup..requires a special dist....not sure if its a better way that the old gear ti gear setup....ran into all this when repowered my gibson a few years back...
Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Registered

I am also confused.... I bought a reverse rotation engine and was told it was a standard rotation. I want to change it to standard...(asap) Here are my question areas...

New Distributor? (Was told there was spiral cuts on the distributor bushings that helped oil flow up during rotation and if I did not change it... it would push oil out and wear out..
And I am aware the gear on the bottom would be wrong.

Cam Shaft? Obviously need a standard rotation right? (and might as well put new lifters in)

Is the crank the same?

It had an alternator on it too if I ran it as a standard rotation wouldn't that excite the alternator?

I also read that the crank seals are different on reverse rotation.. Has to do with deflecting oil..

As well as (Don't laugh) the manufacturer's put the piston's in upside down... and what i mean by that is there is a mark on the piston when you are sliding them in on whats 12 o'clock and in a reverse rotation they put it in at 6 oclock

Am I missing anything. Can somebody verify. Cam, Lifters, Alternator, Distributor, Crank Seals, Pistons in upside down

Last edited by justdreamin; 08-05-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Registered

Guess I should of read this first
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-question.html
Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
thats not true anymore as on big blocks they do not reverse them that way...they run a special cam with a reverse cut dist gears and only turn the dist the correct way to run the oil pump, retaining the factory timing chain setup..requires a special dist....not sure if its a better way that the old gear ti gear setup....ran into all this when repowered my gibson a few years back...
Xactly
Old 08-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Registered

Cam, distributor if using mechanical advance, crank seals.
alternator will charge in both directions in most applications.
reverse the firing order on the cap from standard direction.

If running a blower you have to drive it off the opposite rotor also.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Technically, the "correct" way to orient the pistons on a reverse rotation motor is "backwards". This is because the wrist pin is slightly offset to deliver a more favorable rod angle on the power stroke. Rotating backwards changes the force vector to the opposite side of the combustion chamber. Some do, some don't.