rooster tail >

rooster tail

Notices

rooster tail

Old 06-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rooster tail

okay i know that i am the "little guy" but i need to know what makes a boat rooster tail cause some day i need that . heres the thing was running the boat on the lake and came across a 30 to 33 foot something was not a cig ,fountain or anything common but had twin engines and yes he walked me but this was not a 100 mph boat he was low seventies tops , but had a giant rooster tail . i understand that trim is what makes the rooster tail but i can trim all i want and never get a rooster tail . is it a twin engine thing or is it a hull thing also i understand that certain props ride higher in the water which i would think would cause a rooster tail . lastly in the future i need a 35 lightning with twin 600's or 525's would this boat"rooster" .

p.s. yes i am a dork
Old 06-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fIXX

Originally Posted by money455
okay i know that i am the "little guy" but i need to know what makes a boat rooster tail cause some day i need that . heres the thing was running the boat on the lake and came across a 30 to 33 foot something was not a cig ,fountain or anything common but had twin engines and yes he walked me but this was not a 100 mph boat he was low seventies tops , but had a giant rooster tail . i understand that trim is what makes the rooster tail but i can trim all i want and never get a rooster tail . is it a twin engine thing or is it a hull thing also i understand that certain props ride higher in the water which i would think would cause a rooster tail . lastly in the future i need a 35 lightning with twin 600's or 525's would this boat"rooster" .

p.s. yes i am a dork

Hit your trailer button after you max out your trim that will give you a rooster tail ..but it puts a strain on the u-joints..

running a imco -2'' ''shorty'' drive will give you the same effect..
Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

surface drives will have a roostertail as will jet drives and boats that run the prop close to the surface, there are several different things that can cause that.
depending on the set-up of the fountain, it could.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Registered

by using -2 shorty drive is there any performance gain on my boat other than a rooster tail , also does help or hurt the overall performance of the boat just looking for pros and cons .
Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by money455
by using -2 shorty drive is there any performance gain on my boat other than a rooster tail , also does help or hurt the overall performance of the boat just looking for pros and cons .
that would depend how fountain set up your current x dinention..you may want to go to the fountain forum and ask questions their..in most cases you will pick up 2-5 mph,,you may need to go to a bigger pitch prop also when you change to a -2 lower..
Old 06-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Surface drives throw major roosters
Old 06-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Registered

okay thanks all for the info
Old 06-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

no way to get the rooster tail your wanting unless you do a full stagger set up and 6's on a fountain. I've got full stagger and xr's and get a baby tail but my buddy's 700/6 set up is unreal! good luck.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chattviper
no way to get the rooster tail your wanting unless you do a full stagger set up and 6's on a fountain. I've got full stagger and xr's and get a baby tail but my buddy's 700/6 set up is unreal! good luck.
A 42 PR throws a SICK tail even with the 525's. I'm pretty sure your boat was my poker run boat for the 06 season.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

remove bravo, install Arneson

OK Rik, send my free drives, drop boxes and accessories.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.