Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Insurance and Finance
KY LAKE PR INSURNACE CLAIM....ADJUSTER CAME BACK TODAY...Opinions??? >

KY LAKE PR INSURNACE CLAIM....ADJUSTER CAME BACK TODAY...Opinions???

Notices

KY LAKE PR INSURNACE CLAIM....ADJUSTER CAME BACK TODAY...Opinions???

Old 06-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default KY LAKE PR INSURNACE CLAIM....ADJUSTER CAME BACK TODAY...Opinions???

Well most of you heard I hit a submerged log while we were there and trashed a drive completely. Broke prop shaft, exploded upper gear housing, etc etc.

Insurance came back today and wants to allow me $3,379.70 to fix it. They want to replace everything with aftermarket parts. I don't understand how I insure my boat for x amount of dollars "as it sits" but they want to replace it with aftermarket foreign made parts. Does anyone have any insight or options? I almost wonder if I am better off buying a used one and putting new gears in it or if I should fork up another 2 grand and get a mercruiser built one, or get an attorney involved.

Last edited by FuelinAround; 06-28-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont take this the wrong way, but you're lucky they are covering it all per the "racing/sanctioned events" clause in your policy. I'd smile and take the check
Old 06-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

insurance is a negotiation...there first offer will always be lowball hoping you suck it up and take it.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Registered

I figured I would need somewhere around $4500 to replace the drive. Anyone ever bought the remanned ones? Are they any good?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Registered

what drive??? the only bravo knock off I know of is SEI and thats only the lower. SEI is good stuff.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:27 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
what drive??? the only bravo knock off I know of is SEI and thats only the lower. SEI is good stuff.
I was thinking the same thing......assumed you have Bravos and I know of no aftermarket parts for the upper.

what drive did you have?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered

They wanted to use an aftermarket lower and then put a new casing and gears in the upper. I would prefer a whole new drive just to not ahve to worry about metal shavings and have a 2 year warranty on it. I am not very educated on outdrives and after market parts. I'm more of a motor guy but learning them. I would appreciate any input or suggestions.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyboy1020
They wanted to use an aftermarket lower and then put a new casing and gears in the upper. I would prefer a whole new drive just to not ahve to worry about metal shavings and have a 2 year warranty on it. I am not very educated on outdrives and after market parts. I'm more of a motor guy but learning them. I would appreciate any input or suggestions.
Your Ins Co is required to replace or repair (assuming its a covered loss) your damaged components to "equal or better" than pre loss condition.
If you have lots of hours or wear and tear on your gear, then I would say it's pretty hard to argue the use of "aftermarket" parts, unless its in "near new" condition. Always keep in mind that you have the final say in how it is repaired and who does the repair... You may however have to contribute something from your pocket to cover the added cost of the more expensive parts.

PS: You should always request that your "Field Inspector" be a Marine Surveyor (Most inspectors that are not Marine Surveyors, are not adequately educated in the marine field to make proper recommendations to your Ins Co.).
Old 06-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Registered

this is the lower they want to use

http://www.sterndrive.cc/mm5/merchan...ercruiserBravo

SEI's drives come standard with a three-year, fault-free warranty. This means that the unit is covered for any failure that requires the drive to be repaired or replaced. Run it without lubrication, crash into a stump, suck up some fishing line, it does not matter, the SEI drive is always covered. SEI believes this warranty is one of the best warranties ever offered for a stern drive or a outboard lower unit. Peace of mind while on the water is important, and SEI goes the extra distance to make sure that our products perform.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DollaBill
Dont take this the wrong way, but you're lucky they are covering it all per the "racing/sanctioned events" clause in your policy. I'd smile and take the check
Ditto BIG Daddy

just changed a Bravo for a customer on the river who had insurance thru state farm $3700 for a new Bravo 1 with 1 year gaurantee and paid my son $140.00 for 20 mins to hang it ...Ins paid 3965.00 with shipping

Call Donnie Carter @ Offshore Perf in sunny Florida and order a drive and quit D!CKIN around,dont phuch with the adjuster too much or he'll throw 20 years of depriation on your drive

How old /what year is the broken drive ???? hours ???

Or take the 3379.00 and buy a used Bravo for 2K and you'll have some $$$$ for beer & the TITTIE Bar

Last edited by RunninHotRacing163.1; 06-28-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spl chek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.