Average build time for engine? >

Average build time for engine?

Notices

Average build time for engine?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Average build time for engine?

What is the average build time for a bbc short block engine. There is no clearancing needed as the stroke is stock? Also what is the average time to install the heads and valvetrain when custom pushrods are needed... I'm trying to decide if I want my builder to install the top end but I've not been able to get in touch with him.. I'm just trying to ballpark these costs.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

You talking tear-down, clean and re-ring and bearing or just assemble the short-block?

Not having to clearance anything, install pistons on the rods or gap the rings it takes well less than half a day to assemble the bottom end. Add 1-2 hours to gap rings.

top end is half a day... checking pushrod lenght takes all of 10 minutes tops.

Figure day and a half if you're taking your time. A day to build, 1/2 day to dress it.

that's ball park assembly, no clearancing or degreeing the cam.... You can Nascar rally it back together but that's a pretty safe estimate for a std. bbc IMHO from what it takes me.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're adding in tear-down, cleaning, clearancing etc. just wipe those time estimates off the map...not even close...
Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Registered

I'm looking for just build time... I've already had him do all the machine work. Rings are just pre-gapped, no file fit. He said its not worth the effort on a N/A engine. The cam is being degreed but that is a flat fee of $60. So it sounds like I should plan on about 8 hours. I can dress the engine, install intake, carb, fuel pump, ect.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what's the question ? if you are skilled enough to do the work then you know how long it takes and just go home and do it...

if you have never done it and it is virgin territory for you and you are trying to save a few bucks then that's ok too but understand the risks and costs of screwing up which often happens the first time around.

my suggestion would be that if you are building the motor for the enjoyment and knowledge gained doing the work then have at it... but if you actually want the motor done and in service, just pay the guy that knows what he is doing and get on with it.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
so what's the question ? if you are skilled enough to do the work then you know how long it takes and just go home and do it...

if you have never done it and it is virgin territory for you and you are trying to save a few bucks then that's ok too but understand the risks and costs of screwing up which often happens the first time around.

my suggestion would be that if you are building the motor for the enjoyment and knowledge gained doing the work then have at it... but if you actually want the motor done and in service, just pay the guy that knows what he is doing and get on with it.
Good grief whats up that that post!

If I knew how long it would take why would I post this post? If this was a stock engine I was building I would just do it myself..... But this is not, it's a very high strung engine and even the couple of people I do know that are professional, school trianed mechanics, won't touch it! In addition my cam designer really wants me to have the builder he suggested, that I'm using, do the valvetrain as well... He sent me an interesting e-mail on rocker arm geometry and how almost everyone sets up their valvetrain incorrectly and that most manufactures give bad advise.

After reading this article I realized that I don't have the experience to properly set up the top half of my engine and get the 1.3+ hp per C.I. that we are trying to hit. My question was simply what is the normal build time. I wasn't looking for someone to come along with an attitude!

Panther thanks for your straight advise, thats what I was looking for.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Don't worry about Steve, he spends too much time talking to his dog and probably doesn't have enough interaction with humans.. He was trying his best to give you good advice.
As far as build time, bolting it together is the least time consuming part. If you trust your machinist enough to not check any of the clearances... and the pistons are on the rods already then it should take two to three hours to bolt the short together. But there are a number of little things that can still bite you and I see them all the time. Pre-gapped rings are sometimes too tight, an improperly installed spiro lock can destroy your engine, piston rings not installed properly can cause problems, using the wrong ring compressor can cause the rings to break, the wrong style/quality of torque wrench can vary greatly on stuff like rod bolts, etc.. etc..
If you are going to do it, make sure everything is as clean as possible, get a paint marker to keep track of everything that has been final torqued, check your work, and go slow. Feel free to give me a call if you want help on the valve train geo. I can probably explain it easier the it is written. Good luck, Alex
604 315 0570
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Registered

gee... i thought i addressed the point directly in the simplest way...

and its cats.

5 of them.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Registered

I just took everything to him to finish off the engine... It won't be a throw it together install but done right with all tolerances checked. It just sucks that I can't do it. Right now he's bogged down finishing a twin turbine install in a skater (should be done today). I was hoping my boat would be ready for this weekend but thats not going to happen! I did at least get my new carb today from Pro-Systems.. At least I have something new to check out.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:29 PM

endeavor is wesco doing the motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.