Chug, and not the fun kind... >

Chug, and not the fun kind...

Notices

Chug, and not the fun kind...

Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chug, and not the fun kind...

Ok...Working on the Rogue project...454, Bravo 1. There is a major chug when idling, and also at increased rpms...I do NOT think it's the engine. The motor sounds good, and I can idle it right down, and don't hear a miss. However, when this "chug" happens, and it's not timed like a missing cylinder, it's severe enough to shake the engine. Watching the gauges, and they move when it chugs, but I think it's from the shaking. There's also a faint metallic sound, like something rattling around, but it's not like an engine rattle. Once again, I don't think it's an engine miss...Standing behind the boat with the exhaust coming thru hull, it sounds like it's not missing a beat...You can hear the chug the along with a good idle. This happened without the drive on it as well. The gimbal bearing felt smooth and tight before I put the drive on. It will shift into fwd and reverse easily, with no change in the chug. Same with moving the drive up and down...Thanks...Den
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Registered

Ok...Thinking it may be a miss after all...Coil contacts were corroded. Also, my alternator seems to lose charge when I tach it up a bit, then gets better again when I idle it down...Still looking to be a bit on the low side...Should have about 13 on the meter right? Thanks...Den
Old 06-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Registered

You should have more than 13 volts by 2000 rpm, and really should hold voltage at idle (if no stereo or other large loads). 13.6-14.4 is best. Make sure to check with a handheld voltmeter - guages can be off nearly a volt IME.

The up/down in voltage you desrcibe is often a symptom of alternator brushes being worn.